Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do i file a bug against the ubuntu installer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do i file a bug against the ubuntu installer

May I add a point or two? Your friend's computer, did it have Windows pre-installed? If people had to install Microsoft Windows would they find it so easy? I do not think so. In the beginning Microsoft only knew of the existence of one keyboard layout and that was USA.

The wireless pass phase is usually an alpha-numeric combination. Is it so hard to work out the correct keys for those few letters? An ethernet connection is preferable anyway. There might not be a driver module for the driver adapter.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I think the installer should ask for both language of the interface and keyboard layout at the very first screens.
    Fedora's installer, Anaconda, does that at the very first screen. Ubuntu should, as well. Asking for a password to be entered before determining language and keyboard layout is a design bug.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm searching for existing relevant bugs. If anyone know of them, please post the link.

I should add one more point. After installing in English, only can I set up an azerty keyboard after installing the French language packs. So I'm not sure against which package I should report that.

Edit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1284635 ?
    Last edited by bapoumba; July 26th, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As anybody thought of loading to the live session desktop and changing the keyboard layout and then running the installer?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I'm searching for existing relevant bugs. If anyone know of them, please post the link.

I should add one more point. After installing in English, only can I set up an azerty keyboard after installing the French language packs. So I'm not sure against which package I should report that.

Edit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1284635 ?
    #1284635 is with ibus and seems to be after the installation. In #3 above, the problem is during the installation process so that would be with ubiquity. I'm not good at finding old bugs in Launchpad but did try a bit and did not find anything. Perhaps this is a new bug.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    As anybody thought of loading to the live session desktop and changing the keyboard layout and then running the installer?
    Not here. These are older, lower end machines, and a live environment, be it lubuntu, is really slow. So I went directly to "Install lubuntu".

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    #1284635 is with ibus and seems to be after the installation. In #3 above, the problem is during the installation process so that would be with ubiquity. I'm not good at finding old bugs in Launchpad but did try a bit and did not find anything. Perhaps this is a new bug.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1297234 < The live environment does not have all the language packs, I can understand that. Choosing the language during the install did get me the right keyboard layout, which is what it is supposed to do. May be I'm asking for the impossible, ie an English interface with a French keyboard. At least the older text mode installer would allow me to do it.
    An interesting thread where I got the idea to search for bugs related to console-setup : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2132617
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

@coffeecat

She has a german keyboard, no idea what language she used, i guess default english.

@grahammechanical
    She installed Windows herself and had no issues with it. Even if it was hard to install windows, does not mean installing ubuntu should be hard. I, for example, use linux because i find it easier to handle than windows.
    The passphrase is something with ()(+*)(/&% characters, that is indeed hard to figure out, and it requires a user to know that its not simply "not working properly" but a different layout is loaded. If a user does not know that, he/she will think "i can't even type properly with this linux" and not search for the right positions. Settings layout in live session beforehand works of course.
    Last edited by dandandan; July 26th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Beans

Seems like a clear usability bug to me. The user's expectation that input will be the same as what is typed is valid.

Grahammechanical has pointed out some excellent workarounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12