Thread: On Clean Install of Trusty no ehrrr Precise

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

On Clean Install of Trusty no ehrrr Precise

For some time, the Update Manager had been offering new Hardware Updates. I tried on several occasions to sort it out. No luck. So, as July 24th had arrived, I thought 14.04.1 LTS (Trusty Tahr) would be available.

I did a clean install of 12.04, updating the hardware, etc. Then I tried to install Tahr via terminal and upgrade -d. That balked. Mid-way through install time, I was told the install balked and asked permission to send a report with my password. I sent the report. I wish I hadn't. When Tahr finished the upgrade/updates something was wrong. I got a message about the Keyring password being different from -some other password- . The password now fails to get to past the login screen.

So, netsearching I found what I thought was a way to reset the unix admin password in Ubuntu/Debian/14.04. Nope. Only from the Recovery Mode drop to Terminal could I use that password (what? Run Level 1?). Nowhere else. I posted a help request in Installation, but got but one reply about the "caps lock" being on. Trust me when I say: I wrote the password down before rebooting. I tried the new pw with, without and with the keyboard tilted sideways and caps and no caps, every which way before posting a help request for something seemingly so mundane.

I tried to fix the pw problem using a remount command string. I was seeing an "authentication token manipulation error" and eventually found a Launchpad entry with then 6, now 7 users reporting a problem.

I have long awaited Trusty. I guess I'll have to wait a few more days.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans

Re: On Clean Install of Trusty no ehrrr Precise

I have never had much luck with upgrades, I always back up my data and do a clean install.

You probably already saw this one:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/91188...pulation-error
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not just do a clean install of 14.04.1, instead of installing 12.04 first?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Why not just do a clean install of 14.04.1, instead of installing 12.04 first?
    +1 That should solve it.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109