Thread: OpenSSL 0.9.8za on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

OpenSSL 0.9.8za on Ubuntu 10.04

Hi Guys,

Have been scouring the forums but can't seem to find any info... I have a server running Ubuntu 10.04 and currently has OpenSSL 0.9.8k. Due to vulnerabilities my manager has asked me to upgrade this to OpenSSL 0.9.8za. Can somebody please advise me on the best way to do this? The basics (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) do not update it past 0.9.8k.

OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009
    built on: Fri Jun 20 19:17:57 UTC 2014
    platform: debian-amd64
    options: bn(64,64) md2(int) rc4(ptr,char) des(idx,cisc,16,int) blowfish(ptr2)
    compiler: cc -fPIC -DOPENSSL_PIC -DZLIB -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -m64 -DL_ENDIAN -DTERMIO -O3 -Wa,--noexecstack -g -Wall -DMD32_REG_T=int -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DAES_ASM
    OPENSSLDIR: "/usr/lib/ssl"

I've noticed the build date of Fri Jun 20 19:17:57 UTC 2014 which would indicate that it should be ok? But if there is a way I can upgrade I would love to hear it, please.

Sorry if this sounds like a rubbish question, I've spent a good few hours going insane - it may be that I can't see the wood for the trees! Any more info please let me know...

Cheers

Beans

Re: OpenSSL 0.9.8za on Ubuntu 10.04

... Have also tried an apt-get dist-upgrade.

Of course there's compiling from source:

wget http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.1h.tar.gz

wget http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.1h.tar.gz.md5

md5sum openssl-1.0.1h.tar.gz

cat openssl-1.0.1h.tar.gz.md5

tar -xvzf openssl-1.0.1h.tar.gz

cd openssl-1.0.1h

./config --prefix=/usr/local/openssl --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl

make

make install

But would prefer an apt-get

Cheers

Beans

You should read the Changelog. Any vulnerabilities you are concerned about that are not on that list?

0.9.8 is not vulnerable to the "Heartbleed" bug.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks for the reply, it was the CVE-2014-0224 I was concerned about, I was aware that 0.9.8 was not vulnerable to Heartbleed.

When posting I thought it might have been a total noob question, which has been the case. I didn't realise that Ubuntu has it's own way of updating OpenSSL and that simply by running an apt-get upgrade patches OpenSSL and the vulnerability! Panic over

Beans

No, it's not a noob question at all. On systems with long-term support, security patches will often be "backported" to an existing release version without a change in the version number. This can be really confusing even for seasoned veterans.

It's not just a Debian/Ubuntu thing; RedHat does this as well.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users