Thread: Ubuntu Steam installation issues and Missing 32-bit Libraries

Beans

Ubuntu Steam installation issues and Missing 32-bit Libraries

Ok, first of all, for some odd reason, whenever I try and install games on steam that are supposed to be fore ubuntu/linux, I get the message "This game isn't made for your platform." When it actually has the Linux symbol in the list of symbols of available platforms. It doesn't appear to matter what game it is, either; it will simply state that "The game isn't for your platform."

Next, Dwarf Fortress. Apparently it requires a couple of 32-bit Libraries, and I've tried to download them using "sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libsdl-image1.2:i386 libsdl-sound1.2:i386 libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386" in accordance with this page http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.p...4:Installation. If it helps, I am using Ubuntu version 14.04.

(I've run this with Wine, but I don't want to continue doing that. I think finding a solution to this problem is more than worth the time, considering that I can't /really/ play DF on my favorite platform, and I'm sick of emulating Windows.)
    Last edited by bradley8; August 6th, 2014 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Trying to make things easier to read, and fixing a couple mistakes.

Beans

Re: Just a Couple of Problems

Are we allowed to bump threads? Because it doesn't seem like anyone has even looked at this one yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Dwarf Fortress is available for free on desura.com; it should run that way for you just fine.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

[snip]

Since you have edit the title, this post is no longer relevant.
    (good title!)
    Last edited by ian-weisser; August 7th, 2014 at 10:44 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Over 240 views, and you're complaining that nobody has looked at it ?

A more likely explanation is that your Title is too vague - you're not attracting steam-knowledgeable members of this community.
    You can edit the title to be more descriptive.

Also, most of the community members here probably don't use Steam.
    Some do, and if you change the title, I'm sure you will attract their help.
    I didn't even know where to see how many views the pages had, which was why I was worried that nobody had looked at it in the first place. As it turns out, it can't be done from the page itself so at first I was confused as to where you were getting your number. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll try and make the Title more descriptive to attract people who might know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99
    Dwarf Fortress is available for free on desura.com; it should run that way for you just fine.

I'll try that and see if it downloads the Libraries I need, then edit this post with the results.