Thread: gnome terminal problem on xfce on 14.04

Beans

gnome terminal problem on xfce on 14.04

I'm running standard ubuntu 14.04 desktop. This is an older machine with older Nvidia graphics and limited Nvidia memory. While I like Unity, Compiz uses up too much of the Nvidia memory which I need when I run a multimedia program.

So I added an xfce session with "apt-get install xfce4". Now I can choose either Unity or Xfce at login depending on my need. However, the default terminal when I click on the terminal icon, comes up as the gnome-terminal and shows a blank black background.

I can use an xterm but do prefer the gnome-terminal. If I invoke gnome-terminal from the xterm command line, I get

GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_get: the format string may not contain '&' (key 'monospace-font-name' from schema 'org.gnome.desktop.interface'). This call will probably stop working with a future version of glib

and the same gnome-terminal with just black inside.

What am I missing. I'm not sure I added xfce correctly and probably there are other issues I'm not aware of.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: gnome terminal problem on xfce on 14.04

If you run xfce you will probably also have the xfce4 settings-manager available to you in which you can use the Preferred Applications. I think that should make xfce4-terminal the default when running an xfce session. You might also like to change the other default applications in the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: gnome terminal problem on xfce on 14.04

You installed xfce4 fine. I prefer lxterminal, which works great with xfce4. xfce4-terminal does exist, but not sure if it's default. It is not installed in my xfce4 install. I have xterm as the default by the looks.