Thread: Multiple windows/instances of Kate; in search of a good text editor

Beans

Multiple windows/instances of Kate; in search of a good text editor

I recently moved to Kubuntu 14.04 and I am looking for a good text editor -- one with automatic text coloring/highlighting for programming, tabs, and can have several windows open at the same time, since I prefer working with several virtual desktops. Is it possible to open several windows/instances of Kate at the same time? Or can someone perhaps recommend a nice text editor that fit the criteria I mentioned above? Thanks!

Beans

Re: Multiple windows/instances of Kate; in search of a good text editor

Yes, you can open multiple instances of Kate. Just start each one from the menu.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Yes, you can open multiple instances of Kate. Just start each one from the menu.
    Thanks, this works.

Beans

Just a follow up: I was wondering if there is a way to open a new Kate instance, by default, when clicking a text file to use Kate (as opposed to starting the new instance from the menu)?

Beans

Right click the icon for the text file and select 'Open with' and Kate should be an option.
    When you have a text file open in Kate, click the Open tab at the upper left and navigate to the file.
    When you have multiple files open in Kate, you have 'Previous Document' and 'Next Document' to go between 2 or more files.
    To open a new empty file, click the New tab in the upper left.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Right click the icon for the text file and select 'Open with' and Kate should be an option.
    When you have a text file open in Kate, click the Open tab at the upper left and navigate to the file.
    When you have multiple files open in Kate, you have 'Previous Document' and 'Next Document' to go between 2 or more files.
    To open a new empty file, click the New tab in the upper left.
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I was referring not to opening a new file on the same window (e.g. on a new tab, but nonetheless the same window), but modifying Kile so that it opens new windows by default, and not new tabs, when clicking on a text file to open it.