Thread: DNS Hijacked?

Beans

Question DNS Hijacked?

Ubuntu 11.04

If I try to resolve a host name to IP of domains that don't exist, my box always resolves to 54.183.116.245.

Example:
    root@system:~# ping fifcnrizzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com
    PING fifcnrizzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com.com (54.183.116.245) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^C

root@system:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

root@system:~# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Seems like a hijack of my DNS resolution. Not sure what to check for this. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: DNS Hijacked?

You are running an unsupported version of Ubuntu. 11.04 went end-of-life in October 2012. As such we cannot support troubleshooting such an obsolete version of Ubuntu. You need to re-install with a currently supported version of Ubuntu, either the 12.04 LTS (long-term support) or the more recent 14.04 LTS.

What I would suggest is to boot up with a 14.04 live DVD or USB, set google nameservers as you have done with 11.04 if you wish, connect to the internet, and try your ping in the live session. If you get an "unknown host" error from the ping, then you know the problem is with your 11.04 installation, which is another reason to replace it with a supported version.

Please see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229730
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.