Thread: Game seems to be running, but appears no where

Beans

Game seems to be running, but appears no where

Hello, I've recently tried to start a game in Steam's Play on Linux (the game's name is Final Rush, currently in Alpha) And while the game does appear to be running in top, it doesn't appear anywhere in the gui or otherwise.
    Is there some specific way for me to make the game display? I would post a screenshot, but I've not learned how to on these forums yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Game seems to be running, but appears no where

Not sure if it's the problem, but have you tried installing any additional graphics drivers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubudog View Post
    Not sure if it's the problem, but have you tried installing any additional graphics drivers?
    Not really, no. How do I check for an update for NVIDIA drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try going to your Software & Updates and clicking on the Additional Drivers tab.

Beans

I've done that, and now steam won't even launch. I get an error saying that it's had some problem connecting to the Internet. (I'm Hardwired to my router, also.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

And while the game does appear to be running in top, it doesn't appear anywhere in the gui or otherwise.
    Same problem happens to me with some games (not Steam, just normal old games installed from retail CDs) and I do have NVIDIA drivers / additional drivers installed and updated.

It started when I did a clean install of Xubuntu 14.04 around two weeks ago. Those games worked fine right before that on Ubuntu 14.04.
    "Each choice we take creates a new reality. It's another path. The road not taken." Dr. Walter Bishop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dunham View Post
    Same problem happens to me with some games (not Steam, just normal old games installed from retail CDs) and I do have NVIDIA drivers / additional drivers installed and updated.

It started when I did a clean install of Xubuntu 14.04 around two weeks ago. Those games worked fine right before that on Ubuntu 14.04.
    Bump because it doesn't seem like I'm the only one with this problem. If someone has any info on a possible fix, it would be much appreciated.

Beans

I am having the same problem with Hearthstone. So far all I've tried is a reinstall of wine. I'll keep messing around and see if I can find a solution.

EDIT: Okay, I found that, for whatever reason, if I managed to change the screen size or minimize the game before it fell into the background it fixes the issue for some reason. Strange...
    Last edited by gennaro3; August 8th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gennaro3 View Post
    I am having the same problem with Hearthstone. So far all I've tried is a reinstall of wine. I'll keep messing around and see if I can find a solution.

EDIT: Okay, I found that, for whatever reason, if I managed to change the screen size or minimize the game before it fell into the background it fixes the issue for some reason. Strange...

Hmmmm...

I kind of had a problem like this running ArtRage 4:

The program starts in maximized mode, causing rendering problems.

You'd need to quickly either minimize or resize the window before the problem occured to keep it from happening.

Now only if a window actually came up for me when I run Oblivion, I'd try this out.

Maybe it DOES have something to do with Video drivers or another video based dependancy for Windows.