Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something has gone very wrong ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Something has gone very wrong ...

The first step is to isolate the problem to it's source, and then it'll be easier to solve the problem. There are 3 things in play here, the cards, the readers, and Ubuntu (the computer). I would suggest trying the cards under a live-cd, or on another computer. If the problem goes away you'll know it's a problem with Ubuntu (or the computer), but if the problem persists then you'll know it's either the cards or the readers.

If it turns out to be Ubuntu then reboot might be enough to fix it. I'm guessing it probably is a problem with Ubuntu (or the computer), but for the moment lets say that it isn't. The next step would be to determine if it's the cards or the readers. Since you've tried multiple readers it's not likely the readers. The laws of coincedence wouldn't possibly allow for all 3 cards to run out of writes (or die) at the same time so that just leaves something that the cards have in common aside from the reader. Have they been re-formatted since you used them on your computer last?
    "Will you beeeeeee my friend and my dreeeeeeeeeeeam?" - Soley

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Hmm... it's possible that the locking mechanism is jammed and not functioning correctly. We can limit it down to a few possibilities:
    1. It's Ubuntu, if you have another machine to test them in, if it works fine, then it's more than likely Ubuntu
    2. The SD Card Reader/MicroSD Card Converter has a locking jam
    3. USB controller issue.
    4. Converter not compatible.
    OK, I'm awake, had some coffee, and I'm ready to tackle this again. slooksterpsv, thanks for helping me to think things through. There HAS to be a simple explanation, and an easy fix (I hope). So, let's do a process of elimination and see if we can figure out what ISN'T causing problems.

I do have another machine to try these microSDs and converters on. It's a dual-boot Ubu-Pangolin/WinXP that has no Internet connection, so it hasn't changed in months and months. I'll fire it up, and if the SD chips and converters still work on that machine then I'll know where the problem isn't.

Back in a bit ...(to at_first_light, thank you for your excellent reply, I'm heading off now to try to pin-point the problem areas)
    Last edited by Jay Car; July 19th, 2014 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Car View Post
    I do have another machine to try these microSDs and converters on. It's a dual-boot Ubu-Pangolin/WinXP that has no Internet connection, so it hasn't changed in months and months. I'll fire it up, and if the SD chips and converters still work on that machine then I'll know where the problem isn't.
    Good idea. Try it in both operating systems. As someone said earlier, it's an unlikely coincidence that 3 cards should give the same problem simultaneously. If you can show that the cards work with another machine, then the problem is either with the hardware of your desktop machine or in your Ubuntu installation. Which leads me to a couple of comments in your first post:

I use Ubuntu 13.04 on my desktop.
    13.04 is long end of life. Whether or not the problem is with your 13.04 installation, you need to upgrade, preferably with a fresh installation of the current LTS 14.04. And if you are going to get the 14.04 ISO, then try booting up the 14.04 live session and testing your microSD cards in the live session. That way you may be able to tell whether the problem is with the computer hardware or with your 13.04 installation.

Also...

Suddenly every Microsd card has become write protected.
    Did you get an error message when you tried to copy files onto the microSD card? What exactly did the error message say?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a few days ago I had a micro adapter die in a *VERY* unusual way, it would randomly go read only while writing big files. This constantly messed up the FS until the adapter finally wouldn't read. All they are is a few strips of metal going from the small pins to large ones, sometimes they get bent or worn out. Funny the adapter in question is a Sandisk also (usually really good brand). I had to format it to make it RW again, because of really bad FS corruption. Hopefully this isnt your problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OK, I think this is solved:

After pondering the advice from everyone that posted here, I think I know what started the problem (and yes, it's a "PEBKAC/ID-10T error" story).

This morning I fired up the old Pangolin/XP machine and plugged the "all-in-one" usb reader containing one of the microSD cards that were Read Only & Write Protected yesterday. The MicroSD worked fine on Ubuntu Pangolin, I could cut, paste, rename, and organize all the files.

Out of curiousity, I rebooted into XP and the card was still fine (copy, cut, paste and rename all worked). hmmmm.

So I brought the reader to this machine (Ubuntu 13.04) and plugged it in. It worked fine. Tried the other two chips in the reader and they work fine too. Tried the various chips in the other readers and they worked fine.

The only thing I eliminated from the mix was the adaptors. I had never noticed before that the all-in-one readers actually have a microSD slot, so the adaptor wasn't needed.

So, what started the problem yesterday? Here's my guess ...

The first MicroSD came out of my Samsung Android tablet. When that tablet is turned off, the screen turns a dark grey, but after a few more seconds it goes completely dark and is truly shut off. I was in a hurry yesterday and may have taken the chip out too soon.

I then popped it into the adaptor (that was inserted into the all-in-one reader), and plugged the whole thing into the Ubu-13.04 computer which read the chip as being write protected & read-only, and refused to let me make changes to any of the files - which could have been caused by me impatiently pulling the card from the tablet before it had properly shut down, maybe?

I then grabbed another microSD chip, popped it into the same adaptor and reader, and the computer read THAT one as write protected and read-only too. Which caused me to start pulling out the other readers and adaptors and trying them all, getting the same results.

At that point, IF I'D SIMPLY RESTARTED THE COMPUTER I THINK THE PROBLEM MIGHT HAVE BEEN RESOLVED RIGHT THERE.

Or, if I had just put the first chip back into the tablet and restarted it and then shut it down properly before removing it, the problem likely would have been solved right there.

I believe that once Ubuntu read the first chip as read-only, it saw all the others the same way until I restarted the computer this morning. Now all the chips are readable and useful again.

So, if anyone else has the same problem, here are some things to try:

1. Be patient and think it through before doing a million different things that only confuse the issue.
    2. Don't get mad and break open the poor adaptors and break their little switches off (see pics).
    3. Try simple solutions first (restart the computer for example, I forget to try that since I stopped using Windows, but even with Ubuntu it can occasionally help)
    4. Always make sure to safely remove microSD chips, usb drives and readers, etc.

5. And most importantly, always remember to thank the patient helpers on the Ubuntu forums ... I know for a fact that without them I'd be LOTS stupider than I already am. (it's ok to laugh, I can take it

To coldcritter64, slooksterpsv, tgalati4, at_first_light, and the ever awesome coffeecat, thank you for all your help. If you've read this far, you all deserve medals and applause.

Coffeecat, I promise to install something better than 14.04, soon.

MicroSD doesn't need an adaptor.pngbroke the slider off.png
    Last edited by Jay Car; July 19th, 2014 at 06:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12