Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clementine Crashes adding/playing files

Beans

Clementine Crashes adding/playing files

I read some reviews and chose Clementine to be my music player, installed and loads fine. When I attempted to add files to my library I got an backend file error - don't remember exactly and haven't been able to get the program to stay live long enough to reproduce it again. It hangs up in menus and whenever i try to play or add anything.

Where do I begin to diagnose this?

Thanks

-Ian

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Clementine Crashes adding/playing files

How did you install clementine? What version is it and what version is you ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    How did you install clementine? What version is it and what version is you ubuntu?
    I used the Ubuntu software center to install Clementine - Clementine itself is version 1.2. Ubuntu is 14.04 LTS.

Beans

Its pretty hard to get a feel for what is making things mess up because accessing menus is making it crash. However when it does lock up I noticed several tagreader processes on the task manager and think they might relate to the problem.

Screenshot from 2014-07-21 19:19:00.jpg

Beans

The backend error I was talking about. Screenshot from 2014-07-21 19:29:45.jpg

Beans
    Distro

killall the clementine processes by killing the PID of clementine.

sudo kill -9 <PID>

Then run clementine from the terminal so that it will ouput any error on the terminal.

Open a terminal. Type clementine, hit Enter and see the output errors.

Beans

Ran it from terminal but the errors do not seem to be posting to the terminal... Did this several times and the program would become unresponsive and even threw an unidentified error (see screenshot) but nothing showed in terminal.

Screenshot from 2014-07-22 18:18:19.jpg

Beans
    Distro

Ha. This is one problematic program. Have you tried reinstalling? Let's try to purge everthing.

sudo apt-get purge clementine
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean

Then on your home folder, show the hidden files and if you see any clementine related (example: .clementine folder) try to delete them.
    Now install again.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgade
    sudo apt-get install clementine

I don't know any next step in case this one fails as I have always been successful installing clementine on every version I have.

Also, have you installed any other programs before clementine? Perhaps some have conflicts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have been running Clementine for some time, same version as you, and have had no problems. However, I installed it from Synaptic and not the Software Center, I am also running the Gnome Desktop. BTW, I do like it.

Beans

Well I really appreciate your help up to this point... but unfortunately it didn't work. I must have missed something though when purging all the files during uninstall because when I re-opened after I installed it again it had my library folder already mapped. I didn't see anytihng obviously "clementine" but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Threw same database error when I tried to play a file. Sound has worked in online video already so I assume I have the correct drivers installed?

One thing that is nagging me is that I did NOT do an md5sum check on the image I downloaded before install... I was rushing and I should have done it but there it is. I have my Home folder backed up onto a storage drive using the backups program packaged with Ubuntu.

So I suppose my next question would be should I just re install clean and checked to see if that fixes the issue, or try and fix it some other way. If I do end up having to re-install, are the errors I am seeing going to propegate into the new system when I retrieve that backup?

Thanks again

-IanScreenshot from 2014-07-23 20:27:50.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast