Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How does the news get reported in your country?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How does the news get reported in your country?

@Erik1984

He has an interesting opinion; however, I will say no more about it.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    So, how does the news get reported in your country?
    In my country, it's mostly copy/paste "journalism" lagging a few days behind AP, Guardian, NYT, Reuters etc. Except if there's immediate news, like MH17 the other day, then they c/p it within an hour . Reporter quality is going severely south, and everyone seems to focus on the quantity of news. Anyways, news is not even news anymore, that's why I read only one local weekly magazine which offers some true critical articles and exposés, and that's about it. But in the www days, I use mostly Guardian for the news, as i speak english and they're ahead of schedule compared to my local media.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by holden87 View Post
    ...AP, Guardian, NYT, Reuters etc...
    It's very expensive to maintain an international staff of reporters and stringers so your organization can quickly report the news, as it happens where it happens. That's why those organzization, plus the BBC, AFP, and a very few others, are the only institutions who do it.

Wire services like AP and UPI, the UK's Press Association, and Reuters, were created to sell news to subscribing newspapers in the hinterlands. The typical Boondock Bugler has never been able to afford a few hundred reporters scattered around the country, much less the globe, waiting for something to happen.

...news is not even news anymore,
    Well, news keeps happening. Most anything that calls itself a "news" broadcast these days is lying, though. They wouldn't make a profit if they actually presented real news. So, they don't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    It's very expensive to maintain an international staff of reporters and stringers so your organization can quickly report the news, as it happens where it happens. That's why those organzization, plus the BBC, AFP, and a very few others, are the only institutions who do it.

Wire services like AP and UPI, the UK's Press Association, and Reuters, were created to sell news to subscribing newspapers in the hinterlands. The typical Boondock Bugler has never been able to afford a few hundred reporters scattered around the country, much less the globe, waiting for something to happen.

Well, news keeps happening. Most anything that calls itself a "news" broadcast these days is lying, though. They wouldn't make a profit if they actually presented real news. So, they don't.
    Mostly agreed. Only thing is, when i'm talking foreign news, there used to be good correspondents in different 'place-to-be' countries, giving precious insight. Now, seemingly cutting costs, they're basically copy/pasting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by holden87 View Post
    Mostly agreed. Only thing is, when i'm talking foreign news, there used to be good correspondents in different 'place-to-be' countries, giving precious insight. Now, seemingly cutting costs, they're basically copy/pasting.
    There are certainly fewer. U.S. TV news will often show a correspondent doing a standup overseas while reading a script prepared from secondary sources in the U.S.

The key, at least for U.S. networks, is that the networks originally did not expect their news divisions to make money. That allowed some journalistic integrity. Some years ago, after cable began taking their audience, all the commercial networks demanded the news divisions turn a profit. That's when TV news became talk radio with pictures.

also, frankly, few people are interested in or know good news reporting when they see it and fewer are willing to pay for it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    It's very expensive to maintain an international staff of reporters and stringers so your organization can quickly report the news, as it happens where it happens...
    I think you have a valid point. Even my local news is a cut&paste from the organization that can afford to maintain the staff.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By quacking morons on the TV
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulgirardin View Post
    By quacking morons on the TV
    LOL

A 4-page thread summed up perfectly in 6 words.

Can we close the thread? Pretty sure he just won it.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

Instant on twitter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

As you India is a multi party democracy. The national news channel (owned by the government) reports in favor of the ruling party which may change every 5 years.

Similarly, all regional parties have at least one channel which works tirelessly 24/7 to report in their favor.

There are a few channels which tries to report the news honestly.

New news channels are being launched at a ridiculous rate and the sad part is nobody watches the small ones.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast