Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How does the news get reported in your country?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How does the news get reported in your country?

I avoid any news program that runs longer than half an hour.
    Watching the frivolous banter of "celebrity" news anchors or the guest experts
    on topics like "how to put your pants on correctly" makes my brain bleed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One lovely feature of the internet is that good, fact-based reporting usually links back to source documents.
    That's my modus operandi. I drill down to the original source and read that. I figure every layer of opinion overlying the original source decreases the believability of the conclusion by an order of magnitude.
    I try to see the same story in sites with different political viewpoints - somewhere in the middle lies something a bit closer to the truth.
    Exactly.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

I find the local news is awful, and always pushing its own agenda. I think you need to get your news online. If you watch news on TV, you get THEIR version of the news. If their a democrat, you get a democratic view of the issues. And they do not show any interesting video. They always say "this video contains graphic content", and then they show a short clip of a plane flying over open land, and people with gun. Wow, really graphic.

Beans

News here in the UK can be reported differently between local and national press. For instance, some years ago a 15yr old was shot (and killed) on a local park (gang rivalry was to blame) Local paper focussed on the fact that he was a 15 yr old schoolboy, always using the same photo of him in his school uniform.. National press however, got photo's of him from Facebook, showing him in his ordinary teenager clothes, posing like some would be gangsta. Local paper reports "He was a typical, innocent schoolboy. Hard working studious etc. National newspaper portrayed him as heavily involved in gang life and took quotes off his FB wall, which painted a very different picture to the one in the local paper.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by john_burns2 View Post
    News here in the UK can be reported differently between local and national press. For instance, some years ago a 15yr old was shot (and killed) on a local park (gang rivalry was to blame) Local paper focussed on the fact that he was a 15 yr old schoolboy, always using the same photo of him in his school uniform.. National press however, got photo's of him from Facebook, showing him in his ordinary teenager clothes, posing like some would be gangsta. Local paper reports "He was a typical, innocent schoolboy. Hard working studious etc. National newspaper portrayed him as heavily involved in gang life and took quotes off his FB wall, which painted a very different picture to the one in the local paper.
    Much the same would happen here in the States. Local/neighborhood papers depend on sales to and ads targeting families whose kids went to school with the victim; national papers sell and advertise to other folks. Cable TV talk shows and propagandists who wanted to make political points out of it would use one or the other photo and cast the victim in one or the other persona depending on their position on the spectrum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, the OP asked "how does the news get reported in your country". I would say, "poorly." (For me that's Oregon, USA. And for the record, I too am an older person.)

That's mostly an impression, because I don't watch TV at all, and listen to very little radio. Like Bapoumba, I can't stand the advertising. So, other than seeing faces jabbering soundlessly on screens at the gym, and a few sessions at other peoples' houses, I really don't know much about TV news. You guys don't make it sound very palatable...

Like many, I visit a small list of national and international news websites -- BBC, NY Times, Der Speigel, Al Jazeera, the Guardian. I'm aware that each site has a set of biases. But I seem to see more detailed reporting from closer-to-source services. I also read a local newspaper for local news, though not every day. And phys.org for science.

I'm curious: do others find spoken news reporting slow and dull? I process written information well, and, like many people, I read much faster than people speak. The few times I have seen TV news it seems like the speaker takes forever. I could have read five versions of the story with maps and images in the time it took him or her to deliver a string of mostly trivial details interlarded with cliches. Does anyone else experience this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I watch the evening news, I read the daily newspapers. I read local weeklies.
    Most of my life, we have been getting the National Enquirer. Sadly, the above three have turned more and more into that tabloid, or quite similar, in many ways.

The best news reporting I ever get is on the radio, in between set lists.
    (I only listen to classic rock stations, so the news is very brief)
    It gives me exactly what I want, something happened and that's all that really mattered, no fuss no muss.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How does the news get reported in your country?

Hmmmmm In this one horse town you can tell one person something well having your morning coffee and it's all over town before you start your second coffee.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    How does the news get reported in your country?

Hmmmmm In this one horse town you can tell one person something well having your morning coffee and it's all over town before you start your second coffee.

Same here at work.. If I want something to get back to management, I know just who to tell, (in the strictest confidence, of course)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not a direct answer, but I think it's relevant:

http://www.dobelli.com/wp-content/up...Part1_TEXT.pdf (PDF)
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast