Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does the news get reported in your country?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How does the news get reported in your country?

watching CNN, Sky, even BBC . the news are reported ridicuoously to me. might have been, could have been, we have no confirmaiton. then what the hell are you then blabbing on about?

the format was taken by one TV house here in one of their channels. sensationalist, maybe, could be possibly news. their other channel only does it 2 times a day or is it 3 times. however the national TV has 3 news with one main one and that one is actually good. in fact it's the only good thing about that state TV. the news are usually verified, impartial and mostly only th eimportant stuff. but lately they started introducing US model here and there.

for (often) blatant propaganda "soviet style" iin english one should check Russia Today. Doesn't matter what topic it is they would always have some "obscure" expert no one ever heard about working on some small university (if even) and then they present it as fact other media overlooked. it's really funny in a way. the biggest issue is that you can't really separate well their propaganda pieces from real articles which are actually not that bad.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I listen to radio. Public, add free (I cannot stand adds on TV, I really hate adds on radio), French radio (France culture namely). One report each hour, for a few minutes. I get news in the morning over breakfast and at night when I come home, and this is the radio station in the car. Each morning and evening, they have live talks about society in general (includes politics and stuff) with top notch journalists and participants. Sometimes the discussion goes way over my head, sometimes not. Within my skill fields (biology, internet and such) I can tell you talking is relevant and smart.

I'd rather fill my ears with bright talks that I do not understand than toxic blabla, rumors, misinformation or even blatant lies. I truly believe that being fed up with current TV is toxic. If I wan a TV report, I watch Arte. 15 min news at 20:00, back to basics.

Your brain becomes what you give it to feed upon.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Hidden!

After reading the responses to my post it seems finding quality news is a common problem.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

yep

I think the trick is to read/watch as many different viewpoints to get something akin to close to the truth - just about

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I...

I'd rather fill my ears with bright talks that I do not understand than toxic blabla, rumors, misinformation or even blatant lies. ...
    Your brain becomes what you give it to feed upon.
    too true

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1. Don't confuse "news' with "truth" because even historians don't agree on that.

2. Understand that the reasons a source is airing/publishing a story, how and why it is written, how it is treated -- given prominence or tucked away -- and who the source intends to be the primary target audience are just as informative as the mythical "objective straight news".

3. If you don't come to terms with Point 2, then you are just relying on someone you trust, for vague and indefinable reasons. The entire point of packaging news is to make it appear credible and trustworthy, even when it's little more than propaganda written in some government ministry.

4. Americans: Stop watching cable "news". It's just broadcast fodder intended to play to your biases and assumptions, make you angry about the other side, and keep your eyes glued to the screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just dont bother with the dailymail website.

Beans
    Hidden!

Even the technology news for Microsoft, Apple, Android, Google, etc., are biased by fanboys. Then the opinions I see in the US news is different from what I see in the European news. I learn more about the societies than I do of the technology.

Unfortunately my knowledge of languages other than English is limited, and translation software is not ideal based on what little I do know of German and Spanish.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I used to read massive amounts of news online thanks to Google News which pulls feeds from different sources. I also watched the BBC news religiously at 6:00pm each evening.
    My wife told me for a long time that the focus on news was not particularly good as I was caught up in demoralizing discordant stories that were just that - stories. The truth about the world around us is not likely to be found on TV or the internet because those media are influenced heavily by commercial interests and personal views of the owners and boards of those news agencies. I stopped watching TV news and rarely go to online sources except those associated with finance; this happened about 1 1/2 years ago. I find my life quite a bit less stressful than when I was caught up in the news . I am not trying to deny what is happening around the world I just find I am more at peace knowing about my own local environment which I have some control over than events halfway around the world which I have no control over
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Hidden!

There is nothing on TV.
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?
    Linux is just "DOS on 'steroids"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast