Thread: How do I change screen size

Beans

How do I change screen size

I got a notice from ubuntu that 12.04 was no longer supported and that I needed to upgrade which it supplied a link to do. I upgraded and restarted my system. Now the screen size is 1920X1280 and I am old and can't read the screen. I tried to use SYSTEM>APPEARANCE but it does not allow me to change the screen size to a lower value. How do I lower the screen size? Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I change screen size

These settings should be found under display/monitor. It will be a hardware adjustment, not appearance. Hope this is a help...

Kevin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On any Linux system running X/Windows, the X/Windows screen size can be controlled through the xrandr tool. Often, different GUIs will have a slightly different GUI front-end and allow saving the setting - LXDE uses lxrandr, others use arandr, and so on. The manpage for xrandr is fairly clear, so if anything non-trivial is desired, it explains.

Of course, Unity has a way to control this too ... er ... somehow. Knowing the standard method will help people who prefer to know 1 way to control it, regardless of GUI installed.

Beans

Thanks to all -- You help a very young old man!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It appears your problem is solved. To summarize (with additional details) what has already been said there are a couple ways to do it.

Option #1:

In the terminal you can use randr to set the screen resolution.

Code:
    xrandr --size 1024x768
    The above code will change the screen resolution to a width of 1024 pixels, and a height of 768 pixels.

Option #2:

screen display.PNG

There is an option for changing display resolution in system settings. Go to the cog in the top right of the desktop screen, from the menu choose "system settings", and click on "Screen Display". You can then change your screen resolution, and apply it.
    "Will you beeeeeee my friend and my dreeeeeeeeeeeam?" - Soley