Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have Ubuntu running on Acer V3-111P-43BC?

Beans

Question Anyone have Ubuntu running on Acer V3-111P-43BC?

I'm considering the purchase of an Acer Aspire V3-111P-43BC laptop (aka "NX.MP0AA.001") to replace an old, defunct Asus netbook. Has anyone here successfully run Ubuntu on one of these? Web searches have not turned up much aside from one note that Acer does not support Linux on this machine. (Which of course does not mean it will not work.)

Any info greatly appreciated, thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Anyone have Ubuntu running on Acer V3-111P-43BC?

It is best to make a list of chips used for the different aspects of the machine and search for kernel support of each.

I'm running 14.04 on an Acer C720. The important things work, though the touchpad needs a special driver that must be manually built for every new kernel and I've not gotten any bluetooth connection working v2 or v4 clients. Wifi and usb3 are working without any hassle. Screen is working well, sound works for about 10 suspends, but not later, until a reboot. A weekly reboot avoids this issue. Plus I love th 8+ hrs of real-world use battery life. It is a chromebook, so less than 2lbs, SSD, and limited ports (no VGA, no ethernet port, only 1 USB3), but for a travel netbook replacement and $200, I'm happy-ish. Wish I'd have gotten the Dell 11inch instead.

Definitely check the wireless and BT chips carefully.

Beans

Looking around some more, I found the Asus X200CA-DH21T 11.6" laptop which has features overall similar to the Acer, but reviews say it runs Linux well. The CPU is a bit older (Intel Pentium dual-core 2117U in the Asus vs. Pentium quad-core N3530 in the Acer), but online comparisons show the two CPUs to be very close in performance and power consumption. The Asus is cheaper as well, so that's looking like a good choice.

Beans

I ordered the Acer Aspire E3-111-P8DW over the weekend, which appears to be the same machine sans the touch screen. It shows up tomorrow at which point I plan to replace the HDD with an SSD and install 14.04. I will report back on how everything looks.

Beans

I ordered the V3-111p version yesterday. Also planning to replace the HDD with an SSD right away. Thinking of replacing the wifi card as well. Will keep an eye on this thread.

Beans

Received the machine today. Installed the SSD. Booted and installed 14.04 from a USB drive. No need to disable Secure Boot or switch away from UEFI. I have only spent of a few minutes with the machine post install, but so far so good.

Function keys work.
    Lid closure triggered suspend, but needed to hit a key on the keyboard to resume.
    Bluetooth and WiFi are functional.
    2 finger scrolling works.
    Webcam works.
    Internal microphone is functional.

So far, I am very happy with the machine. I am continuing to test, but let me know if there is anything specific I should look at.

Beans

I received mine today as well. Swapped the HDD out for an SSD and replaced the wifi card with an Intel AC 7260 card.
    Almost everything works out of the box. The only change I've made is to fix the Fn-keys that adjust the screen brightness according to this guide: http://askubuntu.com/questions/18081...on-acer-laptop.
    Really happy with it so far. Would have liked the laptop to wake up from suspend when the lid is opened but that's not a major headache.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swanduck View Post
    Received the machine today. Installed the SSD. Booted and installed 14.04 from a USB drive. No need to disable Secure Boot or switch away from UEFI. I have only spent of a few minutes with the machine post install, but so far so good.
    Hi there,
    I'm considering this machine too.

I also want to fill with an SSD. But I want to know if I'll have full Sata3 speed of +500MB/s.

Please can you check with the commands described into this guide, if it's a Sata2 or Sata3 link when a Sata3 SSD is inserted?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-c...sk-link-speed/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d98jh View Post
    I received mine today as well. Swapped the HDD out for an SSD and replaced the wifi card with an Intel AC 7260 card.
    Almost everything works out of the box. The only change I've made is to fix the Fn-keys that adjust the screen brightness according to this guide: http://askubuntu.com/questions/18081...on-acer-laptop.
    Really happy with it so far. Would have liked the laptop to wake up from suspend when the lid is opened but that's not a major headache.

Hi there,
    I'm considering this machine too.

I also want to fill with an SSD. But I want to know if I'll have full Sata3 speed of +500MB/s.

Please can you check with the commands described into this guide, if it's a Sata2 or Sata3 link when a Sata3 SSD is inserted?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-c...sk-link-speed/

Beans

Seems like the chipset is only Sata2:
    Code:
    $ dmesg | grep -i sata | grep 'link up'
    [    1.634047] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep "^SATA"
    SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast