Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anyone have Ubuntu running on Acer V3-111P-43BC?

Beans

Re: Anyone have Ubuntu running on Acer V3-111P-43BC?

So I got back my V3-111P-27AC from Acer and they did replace the touchpad completely...

Beans

So I finally opened the case and placed electrical tape on the side of the battery that faces the touchpad. 3 days have passed since and I had no problem with the cursor going crazy so far. The problem seems to have been fixed but I will report back in a week or so for confirmation or sooner if anything changes.

Beans

I have also added an electrical tape to the touchpad. It worked for two days, but then the problem appeared again. However, cursor is not that crazy now and the issue is not that persistent. The model is acer aspire v3-371, but touchpad looks the same and behaves exactly like described in this thread.

That being said, this fix sometimes does not work. Regarding the isolation question: it is possible the issue is mechanical rather than electrical, and adding a number of tape layers somehow helps (in my case I probably need to add some foam tape).

xt10-20zp9, do you by chance have a photo of the back side of the touchpad? Just to compare markings and components on the PCB.
    Last edited by vladislav3; April 23rd, 2015 at 12:53 PM.

Beans

After a week I experienced no problems with the touchpad so I would consider the problem solved for me.

Beans

vladislav3: sorry no i don't have a pic as i haven't opened it. And i don't really feel like opening it if i don't really have to... as the case and all feel really light and cheap. :/

Although i have a question, do any of you with a V3-111P or similar successfuly booted another distro from a live usb?

I really have no idea why but i suddenly got a Grub prompt and i don't know what happened. Could it be because i tried disabling SecureBoot? (I tried re-enabling it.)

And i tried disabling Secure Boot because it seems i can't boot any other distro that isn't Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based.. (haven't tried Debian)

If i need to re install i would have liked to install Manjaro-XFCE (based on Arch) but it's impossible to boot it :/ And i actually already had a problem booting a flash drive installation too, that i could boot on my Macbook. So, annoying... i don't understand why this happen.

Beans

it took me some time to reinstall Linux and I had a bad surprise. It took me some time cause i tried everything to install Manjaro and couldn't in the end (i can only boot Ubuntu/Ubuntu based distros).
    I'm not sure but i think the touchpad worked slightly better on Elementary (14.04) than the Ubuntu release i tried, when it was working of course. And so once i tried to boot a live usb Ubuntu or Ubuntu-gnome since they replaced the touchpad and saw the touchpad was weird and so i decided to re install Elementary.

So, the touchpad before was working * perfectly * on Elementary, for instance i could simply click with my thumb on the bottom of the touchpad and move a window with my index finger... like it should be. And the touchpad was deactivated when i was typing so the cursor wouldn't click on anyting. But now i can't click and move a window like that, if I click with my thumb on the bottom of the touchpad and try to move a window with another finger it's impossible to move it. If i want to move a window, i have to, for instance, click with my index finger on the window, so like in the middle of touchpad and keep it clicked while i drag it around.. it's unusable :/ (and it works like it should on Windows.)

And i only use this Acer as netbook there is no way i will use/could use a mouse with it. So i guess when they replaced the touchpad they put another model in it, that requires another driver...? I guess that would explain?... I think i heard it's possible to "configure"/tweak a touchpad but i've never done it, i haven't googled yet, anyone has any pointer on what i could try to fix that problem? If it's fixable...? it kinda sucks. :/

Beans

hi, i did the tape repair and it work, thanks...

Beans

So finally I had my notebook fixed in service. They soldered a wire from touchpad PCB ground to its metal frame and added a piece of conductive tape from touchpad frame to main frame. There already was some piece of tape which is supposed to be conductive (I guess), but looks like it becomes loose over time. So the touchpad wasn't properly grouded.

Sorry for a blurry photo (mirror: http://i.imgur.com/ZIET5Zf.jpg ).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chbrant7-gmail View Post
    hi, i did the tape repair and it work, thanks...

Me too.
    Thick rubber adhesive tape and the cursors doesn't jump anymore.

There's a resonance phenomenon that cause the electricity into the battery to interfere with the trackpad.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567