Thread: editing of application menu in ubuntu studio/xfce sort of nightmarish

Beans

editing of application menu in ubuntu studio/xfce sort of nightmarish

I recently installed ubuntu studio trusty 64 bit from scratch, overwriting the install of quantal I had been using.

Before I installed trusty I deleted many .desktop files. I did that because editing the "Applications Menu" with alacarte had gotten to be a very slow and labor intensive process, mostly because over the last couple of years I had added and/or removed menu entries and so there were *many* that were by now simply disabled but taking up space in the alacarte editor. Yes, I'm sure I could have deleted those launchers in alacarte, but at the time(s) it was unclear what could be deleted without trashing some other part of the menus, so instead I always just unchecked the items that I didn't want displayed.

Unfortunately now I forget from where I deleted those .desktop files!

I had the foolish notion that I'd start from scratch. But editing with alacarte can be painfully sluggish.

Meanwhile menulibre worked one time, then crashed the next time I tried to use it, now it refuses to even launch. If I try to launch it by typing menulibre into the terminal window then these error messages return:
    Code:
    ** (menulibre:4630): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility  bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-Hnd6kiixZm: Connection  refused
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading  configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated. please move it to  /home/<my_user_name>/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf manually **
    ERROR:/build/buildd/gnome-menus-3.10.1/./libmenu/gmenu-tree.c:4022:preprocess_layout_info:  assertion failed: (!directory->preprocessed) Aborted (core  dumped)
    Restarting does no good, neither does purging and then reinstalling menulibre. Not only that but menulibre rearranged the menus in a way that they're clearly screwed up (to try to describe how would take too long and isn't too relevant I don't think anyway). It's clear that it was the test I made of trying menulibre the first time that rearranged the menus too.

[update:] I tried removing ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu and that allowed both alacarte and menulibre to launch, also alacarte's button to restore the stock menus seems to have worked after removing that. But it seems that making any sort of change using menulibre causes a new ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu to be created and at the same time causes menulibre not to run next time one tries to launch it.

Learning to comprehend the whole menus-and-.desktop specification (with the thought of editing menus with a text editor) looks like a career move (ie way too much to get into).

Look, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I adore ubuntu studio when it's finally up and running and totally configured. Honestly too I don't think this is in any way an ubuntu studio problem specifically. I think it's at least broad enough that it affects anybody that's using xfce to say the least. Maybe it's broader than that---and that's why I'm ranting. Because in that case it seems to me that shouldn't people that are paid employees of Canonical be dealing with a very basic question like menu editing?? Or am I wrong? Since I've not used unity I have no way to comment on that; maybe it's totally solved so long as one uses unity. But at the moment I'm finding this last(???) step in the install of trusty to be frustratingly hard.

There's gotta be some relatively simple way to edit menus!! Has anybody out there somehow solved this? Many thanks in advance if so!!

[update:] I added the PPA for menulibre and upgraded that but still the same issues.

I'm wondering if it may be at least in part because I've somehow got a mix of gnome and xfce when it comes to menus? It might be so, because /home has gone through versions of ubuntu studio from lucid to natty to quantal to now trusty, and it may well be that parts of the desktop are still based on gnome?? This is sheer speculation on my part here. And even if so I would not want to get into starting from scratch with that.

If this thread is coming across as just a rant then I'll gladly delete it, with apologies. But too it's hard to believe that I'm the only one with this particular issue...
    Last edited by a-you; July 16th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: editing of application menu in ubuntu studio/xfce sort of nightmarish

For 14.04 I've edited menus with provided Menu application. My guess its alacarte. No toruble at all.
    Desktop files are located in ~/.local/share/applications/ if you need to add some.

Beans

Yes that's alacarte.

I'm guessing that you were not making major changes. Or that unfortunately I'm am . Because at the moment I'm seeing many items in the most bizarre locations. In fact there are 3 menus called "Unused Menu," all 3 full of lots of items. It's totally wacky.

And re ~/.local/share/applications/, here's for example one small part of this odd puzzle: if I create a new menu item with alacarte no desktop file appears in that location. And I'm certainly not running the editor as root and they're not appearing in /usr/share/applications either (I even checked just to be sure). So I wonder where those items are being created.

...oh, I think I just answered that. Maybe this information is useful to somebody else dealing with this: it creates files called eg "alacarte-made-12.desktop"

Anyway thanks a lot for commenting
    Last edited by a-you; July 16th, 2014 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I'm guessing that you were not making major changes.
    it creates files called eg "alacarte-made-12.desktop"
    Exactly.

Beans

Btw do you happen to know what other files are involved in menus?? I mean, in addition to the .desktop files? I see that there's ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu but are there any others that I should be aware of? (Thanks)