Thread: Acer Travelmate old laptop issue in Shutdown/Restart

Beans

Acer Travelmate old laptop issue in Shutdown/Restart

Hi all, I just successfully installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my old Acer Travelmate 2420 laptop alongside Windows XP Home (my thread here). However, I got an issue related to my laptop powering off. Using both Shutdown and Restart commands cause the notebook to stop its activity and it doesn't power off or reboot effectively. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to look at the console messages the last lines looks like:
    Code:
    * Deactivating swap ... [OK]
    * Unmounting local filesystem ... [OK]
    * Will now halt
    after Shutdown command and
    Code:
    * Deactivating swap ... [OK]
    * Will now restart
    after Restart. So, to power off the computer completely I have to hold down the on-off button for 4-5 seconds, or disconnect the power source cable (the battery is dead, I don't use it anymore). Similar behaviour with the liveCD where the system opens the drive door and wait for an Enter keypress but this keypress has no effect. May be an hardware problem, I don't know, but in Windows both commands work as espected. I was wondering if someone here has got the same or similar issue. Cheers
    Gigi
    PS: 'sudo shutdown -r now' doesn't solve the issue ...
    Last edited by gigi3; July 16th, 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Beans

Re: Acer Travelmate old laptop issue in Shutdown/Restart

I have also tried changing Wake On Lan bios option but no effects. Any suggestion? At least to correctly reach the 'System halted' message ... thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Gigi3, having exactly the same issue here on another laptop. Did you ever find a solution ?

Beans

Hi Zorrothustra, no unfortunately no solutions at this time, I still have to power off manually ...