Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Systemback - Software to make an image of your installed OS

Beans

Re: Systemback - Software to make an image of your installed OS

Quote Originally Posted by rv_happy View Post
    But Remastersys is no longer developed and as I understand each new Ubuntu version breaks Remastersys (I am happy to be corrected). BlackLab Linux took the code and redeveloped it for their own purposes but have since taken it down from their public site.I couldn't get a bootable image off it anyway (though I was probably doing something wrong).
    Remastersys is working fine on 14.04. The only issue I ever had was when resolv.conf was changed to a symbolic link, 12.04-12.10, but it was quickly resolved.
    Remastersys is not proprietary in that it combines standard ubuntu utilities/applets into a useful program.
    Last edited by SurfaceUnits; July 31st, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well I have tried Systemback for Restore Points and also LIVEUSB and it works very well. It has overcome Remastersys limitations on space and works with larger volumes on USB Live. I booted up a live USB and it worked exceedingly well;even symlinks to my other hard drives not backed up remained intact and functional. Wallpaper, programs, DE etc all intact. It even booted up to the last pages on firefox I was at.Gave a donation to the devs as this is valuable GNU software, While I created Restore Points sucessfully I did not try restoring my sysytem from them. Works much better than REDO for Ubuntu but on the other hand REDO will back up my entire Dual Boot (both OSs)I donn't think this will do that
    Last edited by SuperFreak; July 31st, 2014 at 02:16 AM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Where is Systemback Tmp folder at? have cannot find it. for when it does backups & creating a sblive or Iso format? Than for any info in Advance. Thanks
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Redalien0304 View Post
    Where is Systemback Tmp folder at? have cannot find it. for when it does backups & creating a sblive or Iso format? Than for any info in Advance. Thanks
    When you open the application, the storage directory location appears in the top right corner.

I use the the default location ...../home

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

ok Thanks i found it in with Nemo File Manger in File System/Home/Sustemback not in as i Understood it from Systemback. Thanks
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been using Systemback as an alternative to Remastersys. I can create a LiveCD .iso, copy it to a USB (using Multisystem, which is AWESOME), and boot from it. Does anyone know if it is possible to install that Live system to the computer that I booted into from the USB? I'd like to be able to make my .iso into a mini-distribution.
    Running Ubuntu 16.04 on:
    1) ASUS Q501LA (laptop)
    2) iMac (MC813LL/A - iMac12,2)
    3) Toshiba Chromebook2 (CB35-B3340 - Bay trail)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xmbwd View Post
    I've been using Systemback as an alternative to Remastersys. I can create a LiveCD .iso, copy it to a USB (using Multisystem, which is AWESOME), and boot from it. Does anyone know if it is possible to install that Live system to the computer that I booted into from the USB? I'd like to be able to make my .iso into a mini-distribution.
    Yes indeed, you can install your iso.

Systemback > System Install (On the right hand side)

Experiment on a free partition and let us know the outcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So I got it to install from the live system using Systemback. The sequence seems to be that you (1) set the mount point (I selected "/"); (2) set the file system (I selected "ext4"); and then (3) click the little, green, back-ward facing arrow to "Change Partition Settings." This allowed me to run and complete the System Install.

However, the newly installed system did not show up in my GRUB2 at startup, so I could not boot to it. In the Disks application, the partition with the new install shows up as "SB@," whereas my other, bootable partitions show up as "Filesystem." And I can mount it and see what looks to be a Linux system. But again, I can't startup from it or see it in GRUB2.

Is there some additional step that I need to take? Or did I mess up by setting the mount point to "/"?

Alternatively, is there a way to install the Live system from the running USB as you would when you create a Live ISO USB from the default installer? That is, is there a way to get the "Install Ubuntu" application on the Systemback ISO?
    Last edited by xmbwd; December 5th, 2014 at 05:55 AM.
    Running Ubuntu 16.04 on:
    1) ASUS Q501LA (laptop)
    2) iMac (MC813LL/A - iMac12,2)
    3) Toshiba Chromebook2 (CB35-B3340 - Bay trail)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xmbwd View Post
    So I got it to install from the live system using Systemback. The sequence seems to be that you (1) set the mount point (I selected "/"); (2) set the file system (I selected "ext4"); and then (3) click the little, green, back-ward facing arrow to "Change Partition Settings." This allowed me to run and complete the System Install.

However, the newly installed system did not show up in my GRUB2 at startup, so I could not boot to it. In the Disks application, the partition with the new install shows up as "SB@," whereas my other, bootable partitions show up as "Filesystem." And I can mount it and see what looks to be a Linux system. But again, I can't startup from it or see it in GRUB2.

Is there some additional step that I need to take? Or did I mess up by setting the mount point to "/"?

Alternatively, is there a way to install the Live system from the running USB as you would when you create a Live ISO USB from the default installer? That is, is there a way to get the "Install Ubuntu" application on the Systemback ISO?
    If you have installed your Systemback OS in a multiboot situation, can you probe and update grub from one of your other systems? You may be able to detect your recent installation.

Alternatively, you can try this:-

Return to the Ubuntu system you wish to back up
    Download and install ubiquity (Live CD installer) via synaptic
    Download and install GParted (partition manager)
    Create a Systemback back up
    Convert the back up to an iso.
    Create a live USB/DVD using Start Up Disk Creator (Ubuntu's own utility)
    Try and install using ubiquity

When I experiment with this type of installation software, I remove my daily hard drive and use an old redundant drive as a destination so that I don't lose anything important.
    Be careful and take backups before experimenting.

Best wishes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    .... While I created Restore Points sucessfully I did not try restoring my sysytem from them.
    well that is the other important part - to be able to restore.
    1 more week and then I will have time to test it in virtualbox first of course.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast