Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help. Grub 2 from 14.04 replaced with grub 1.99 from 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help. Grub 2 from 14.04 replaced with grub 1.99 from 12.04

Related to above the "box" that shows the grub boot entries only holds so many entries. If you have a tiny arrow in the lower right corner (very tiny), then you can scroll down for more entries.
    If you have that many entires it really is time to houseclean some older kernels out.
    I could not agree more! I did not realize that just about every kernel update is retained since I began running 12.04. How do I clean them out? Where are they stored?

Strangely, I got into 14.04 by accident. I scrolled through all the previous kernels in the list then at the very end, I hit the "right arrow" which took me into another very different screen. It allowed me to get into sda6 in "recovery mode" so the graphics were off a bit, i.e., something less than my normal 1900x1200 mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think I may well have solved this, all by accident. I went down the list immediately after the first kernel and selected one about 2 removed from the top kernel shown in grub. I made sure that it was not a "recovery mode" and used the right arrow. This got me into a boot for Ubuntu and it turned out to be 14.04. There was no identification of the version or disk position, i.e., sda6. It booted into 14.04 with correct graphics.

When I was in 14.04, I went to Synaptic and then reinstalled all the grub entries, especially the one for the 2 version beta. They appeared to be reinstalled without incident. Then I re-booted and Grub2 came up as it did before! So far all is well. Grub2 looked as it did before my mistake and also has an entry for the old 12.04. Whew.

I hearby resolve NOT to use Synaptic to update my software again!!! Especially while in 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

RedRat; Great !

synaptic is a great tool when used properly. However, once I learned to use 'apt-get', dpkg, and aptitude directly I no longer use synaptic ( in line with my KISS attitude ).

It is a prime importance to remove those old no-longer-needed kernels; either from the command line or with synaptic (complete removal of images and headers) will get the job done. If you require guidance, please open a new thread and we will be there.

happy trials to you
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bashing-om
    OK started a new thread. Thanks for the help. I would like to know how to rid my self of those older kernels. I would like to retain perhaps two for 12.04 and a few for 14.04. Let me know how to do this with Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

RedRat; Sure .

I will hunt you up in the new thread.

ain't no step for a stepper
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12