Thread: installing Linux on an old Dell laptop

Beans

installing Linux on an old Dell laptop

Howdy!

I want to install some distribution of Linux on my old Dell Inpiron E1705 ( 9400 ) laptop computer. I am not necessarily interested in a dual-boot setup. I am interested in compatibility with my hardware and relative ease of use. An associate recommended Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition. The Dell website mentions Ubuntu mostly when I do a search for Linux, though.
    I have not used Linux in about five or six years. Here are the system specifications.

Dell Inspiron 9400
    Genuine Intel(R) CPU
    T2500 @ 2.00GHz
    2.00 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

Graphics Card Information:

Processor: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800

I also have a DVD R/W drive. I use the internet and Wi-Fi regularly.

What distribution and version of Linux will fit my needs? Thank you!

Regards,
    A

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: installing Linux on an old Dell laptop

Hi, welcome.

Mint is Ubuntu based and the same hardware is expected to work for both. It boils down to personal preference.
    Your notebook is capable of running the standard Ubuntu's default desktop environment, Unity, but just barely. Mint's Cinnamon won't perform much better but it may feel more fluid. I have installed recently a standard Ubuntu (32-bit) in a Compal HEL80 with approximately the same base hardware and it's fine. The WiFi is a Intel 5100 though. Yours may not work OOTB.

Besides the WiFi, just a couple of recommendations:
    - Select and install the nVidia proprietary driver (304.xx if I'm not mistaken)
    - A 7200rpm HDD is a noticeable improvement.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Thanks!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Mint Cinnamon, I do not use it, but there are a lot of good reports out there.

Your specs are good. You could run Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and maybe even (the weak link could be the video) full blown Ubuntu on that machine. I think that if up to me, I would try Kubuntu first and Mint second. And I only say that because for someone new, I think you will get better support for K.

Here's a easy way to search the *buntu's (even Mint).

http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Mint Cinnamon is too slow on old hardware. I talk from experience. Mint XFCE is faster, but is missing features. Also, a lot of customization apps and themes are only built for Cinnamon. Lubuntu is your best bet. It has an awesome interface with excellent customization. It is also originally designed for speed on old systems. It can be run on a Pentium II with 128MB of RAM.

Lubuntu is also an official Ubuntu derivative, so you get the LTS (Long Term Support) builds, most recently 14.04, with full Ubuntu support. You won't have to post on the Linux Mint forums.

I can guarantee that Lubuntu will work fine. I have run Linux on a Dell Latitude D610 and D620 (both older than yours) perfectly fine. You can of course post your progress here and we will help you with drivers, etc. Honestly, the only things you will probably have to install separately are the Graphics Drivers and maybe the WiFi. If the WiFi doesn't work, be sure to get an Ethernet cable so that you can download and install it. I have been able to get every single WiFi chip I have encountered to work over the past few years.

I have Lubuntu on a Intel Pentium M CPU with 1GB of RAM on a Dell Latitude D610 and I can play back 1080p with 5.1 surround sound now. I could not do that in Ubuntu nor Mint on the same computer. It's full Ubuntu behind the scenes, so you can install all of the same software and use it in the same way.

What ever you do, be sure to install with at least 2GB of swap. You might want to hibernate, or you might just need the swap.

Good luck!
    Last edited by P_THE_AWESOME; July 15th, 2014 at 06:20 PM.
    I like helping people, which is why I'm probably helping you if I'm not asking help from you in this thread...
    a.k.a DaAwesomeP

My Awesome single-page ultra-low-budget GitHub-hosted no-server-side-code website.