Thread: Skype video - problems with smartcam

Beans

Skype video - problems with smartcam

After couple of days of trying to troubleshoot and googling I finally gave up and thought I would ask question here.
    So here is the problem: I tried to revive my old T42 laptop which was used by my kids for chess training. I had a cheap webcam that worked under XP but now with support ceased, I decided to go linux. I installed Linux Mint 13 XLDE, because that was the last one supporting non-PAE processor out of the box. Unfortunately my webcam was not supported so I tried to find another cheap solution and I used smartcam software (http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartcam/) with my old Nokia E52 phone. I compiled the driver (after some trial-err-patch cycles) and I finally had video working in the smartcam app. Also gstreamer-properties shows displays video correctly when testing the Default Input.
    Unfortunately Skype (v4.2.0.11) shows black box in video options.
    I tried LD_PRELOAD the v4l1compat.so trick but to no avail.
    Can anyone shed some light and help me with solving the puzzle?

Thanks

Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Skype video - problems with smartcam

Mint 13 is old software. Better to begin with something recent like Lubuntu 14.04.1.
    The PAE problem is easily solved.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Skype video - problems with smartcam

Thread moved to Other Operating Systems and Projects.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

SmartCam driver for UBUNTU 14.04

Hey guys,

just download smartcam application from google play store and turn your android phone or tablet into a camera

here is the source code with all patches applied to be compiled in kernel 3.13.0-49

smartcam-1.4.0_ubuntu_14.04.tar.gz

Beans

Re: SmartCam driver for UBUNTU 14.04

thank you!