Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Laptop brightness control

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    You could try adding
    Code:
    acpi_osi=linux
    to the Grub CMDLINE and see if it changes on a reboot. The number of brightness levels is usually reported to the OS from BIOS during startup after BIOS inquires what OS, Linux ignores the OS request by default
    It does use Linux drivers for some ACPI stuff but it also uses Toshbia ACPI for hot keys that don't work until after a suspend / resume. I think it uses a generic Linux video driver but it also uses an Intel i915 GPU based graphics driver too. I did play around with GRUB a couple months ago when first venturing into Ubuntu but I've got higher priority stuff on the go.

I did upgrade GRUB with your recommendation and will post back later if successful. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If it doesn't work, there are plenty of other options that can be tried with acpi_osi=
    You might have to use one of the Windows options to get the backlight to give you the 10 steps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

After reboot it is still at 7 steps of brighness. I do have a PPA utility called "Brightness Controller" that allows what seems to be 100 levels of brightness control all the way down to blackness. However a it only turns the brightness down and never back up again. Brightness control isn't really a burning issue with me...

Beans
    moved
    Last edited by dave157; December 5th, 2014 at 04:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12