Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu vs. Arch

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu Vs. Arch

I am certain this is going to be moved... I have Ubuntu Gnome and Arch with Gnome installed, they both have their good points. Ubuntu Gnome has the advantage of being very easy to maintain. Arch takes some work to maintain because of it's rolling release nature. Arch always has the current stable version of Gnome where Ubuntu Gnome does not.

On the other hand, I never have to worry about problems with my extensions on Ubuntu Gnome and updates are not likely to break anything. Both distros have something good to offer depending on what you are looking for.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Ubuntu for my laptop and notebook because of the GUI and Apps. I use CentOS for the servers because of the stability. I don't use Arch because of the rolling release.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; July 17th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I have never ran arch, but got to say that I find arch documentation extremely helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    I never have to worry about problems with my extensions on Ubuntu Gnome and updates are not likely to break anything.
    To be honest my experience is kind of opposite. Since Ubuntu only really updates once every 6 months, the amount of changes is huge. For me it was always a choice between a complete reinstall, a huge upgrade that would very likely break loads of things, or sticking with the old version. Arch's rolling release has been working a lot better for me. I can just update every day and the latest packages are brought in little by little. When something does break, it's much easier to track down that way.

Full disclosure: I haven't used Ubuntu on desktop since 8.10 or something. Not sure if the upgrade process has gotten more reliable since.
    Full time open source software developer. Projects:
    Wakame-vdc: Virtual data center. Community: Wakame Users Group
    OpenVNet: Virtual networking using OpenFlow
    Sinatra-browse: Parameter declaration framework and browsable API for ruby Sinatra.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Metallion, what you said about Arch is encouraging! I have only been running Arch for a short time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just because a thread is moved to Recurring, doesn't mean you can't post in it. Moved to Recurring.

Edit merged two similar threads.
    Last edited by cariboo; July 18th, 2014 at 03:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12