Thread: 12.04LTS: wrong kernel modules installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04LTS: wrong kernel modules installed

Install seems to have pooched the system. I just installed 12.04LTS over an openSUSE installation on my AMD64 and not much seems to work. Most importantly, the network doesn't work. I think the reason is that the wrong kernel modules are installed. When I type uname -a I get told that the kernel is 3.4.63-44.desktop, but when I look at the contents of /lib/modules all I see is "3.2.0-23-generic".
    I selected the "something else" option in the install, because I didn't want to "install alongside openSUSE" nor did I want to do a fresh install that seemed to promise to wipe out my home directory! So I choose something else, then simply selected the old root partition as my root partition and the old home partition as my home partition. All these file systems are ext4 and I didn't opt to format anything. Well, when I started it, I found that installing the proprietary nVidia drivers didn't work and that's probably because the network didn't work. I was unable to get any network action (no sign of Ethernet life when I typed ifconfig -a) and when I tried modproble r8169, it gave me some sort of error about module misconfiguration. That's when I realized I had the wrong modules.
    Oh another thing: I don't get a boot menu. At first I get the openSUSE splash screen for a split second, then Ubuntu starts. I'll bet I could have gotten somewhere if I got a boot menu.
    Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to fix any of these problems by hand.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure I selected /dev/sda as the device for the "boot loader installation"
    Last edited by PenguinLust; July 13th, 2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Forgot a little tidbit

Beans

Re: 12.04LTS: wrong kernel modules installed

You may now have a mix of an Ubuntu install and a partial OpenSuse install. If it were me, I would backup the data in my /home partition and do a clean install of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm afraid that's out of the question. My home directory goes into the 100s of Gb. I might be persuaded to format the root, but I would have hoped that the installer would have dealt w/any other distro and made sure it didn't interfere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great... I just made it worse by following the instrunctions from http://www.howopensource.com/2012/05...4-live-cd-usb/ but now I can't even start Ubuntu. I'm going to try it once again, then if that doesn't work, installing again. If someone can give me advice before going that far...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Actually, using boot-repair again seems to have worked. Now I have a boot menu and can access the 3.2 kernel. I can only assume now that the update will take care of the missing modules issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Of course it was a problem of my old installation interfering! I just realized that the 3.4 kernel there has a timestamp from last year, so no doubt it was left over from openSUSE. Loading that by default (for some reason, the bootloader wasn't giving me a choice), the poor thing didn't know what to do w/this new kernel. Now I just have to figure out how to edit the boot menu to get rid of that troublesome selection.

Beans

Whew, good save. I figured there must be remnants of the old install present.

There are ways to configure Grub2 by hand, but I find it confusing. Try this:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...r-ubuntu-1404/