Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your older computer revival success stories here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Share your older computer revival success stories here!

I thought it would be an interesting idea to see what kinds of old computers that we all had would be able to run Linux. Mine is a HP DV 4000 from 2005.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sports fan Matt; July 13th, 2014 at 04:10 PM.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans

Re: Share your older computer revival success stories here!

define older. all mine are p4's
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Could be any old computer including P4's...was thinking of ones from old computer stores or ones gotten from friends, trash piles, etc..(I didn't want to limit anything)
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had P4 3.0Ghz HT enabled from what seems to be forever, that cheap chip was also the sole survivor of the entire original config which ran its life little by little and part by part.

Nonetheless, it ran all the Ubuntu versions quite decently (Other than Ubuntu, it also ran manjaroOB and fedora XFCE), would've had more luck with it if I had dedicated graphic card, but oh well, I eventually upgraded the chip for couple of bucks to 3.0Ghz c2d and its running even better.
    Please mark the thread as ''solved'' if your query has been resolved.
    How to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Still running Xubuntu 12.04.4 32-bit on my old 2002 Dell D800 Latitude notebook with 1.4 GHz Pentium-M (low-power Pentium 3) with GeForce Go FX 5200 64M video card. Will upgrade to Lubuntu 14.04.1 32-bit thanks to forcepae boot option now available.

EDIT: Successfully running Lubuntu 14.04.1 32-bit now. I needed a space between "--" and "forcepae" in boot options to get it to boot.
    Code:
     -- forcepae
    Last edited by MoebusNet; July 27th, 2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: clarification, details

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Pentium, 188 MHz (overclocked from 166 MHz), 256 MB RAM (maximum for the board), running freenas 7.2 with a ZFS RAID pool (http://www.nas4free.org) --1997 vintage. I also have Damn Small Linux on an HP Omnibook laptop (bricktop) with 64 MB RAM, 166 MHz, Pentium, also 1997 vintage. Nice keyboard, connects to the network with an ethernet pcmcia card. I also have a 95 vintage psion 3a palm computer that I'm trying to shoehorn linux--that's a challenge because the LCD screen is failing.

My wife says I have too many computers. Thankfully RaspberryPi's don't take up too much room and are easy to hide. I am now starting to dump anything below a Pentium III.
    Last edited by tgalati4; July 13th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Installed xubunu 12.04 64bit on HP Pavilion s7210n which was sitting on the corner of the server room for a while. It ran without any problem as a headless server. I loaded 2GB of DDR ram on it and upgrade the network card to a gigabit one. It ran pretty stable as a fileserver and the longest time I kept it on was around 4 months. It has built in wireless card if one would like to hook it up to the network without wire. The front panel also come with multi memory card slots which comes in handy to transfer digital photo from my camera. I also attached the box with external 4TB harddrive as extra storage and the harddrive was recognized and functioned without any problem. An other function I added to the box was to pair the banshee music player with an android remote app that I can use the box as a music jukebox. Gotta thanks the community for providing every great app and tutorial for free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop from 2003. Pentium 4, upgraded to 1GB RAM and 60GB HDD. Runs Lubuntu OK. The Wifi adapter card has to be reseated every once in a while.

Edit: About the only thing it is good for is a foot warmer during the winter.

inspiron5100a.jpg
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; July 15th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

My Lubuntu runs on an Asus S96J. It's a great little laptop. I love it dearly.
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core Black Edition OC'd to 4.3GHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Graphics: Twin Radeon 7870's | Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, It's not super old, but it has the power of an older computer.

I recently successfully installed MythBuntu on an 18w AMD E-350 as a front end. It's performance is essentially equivalent to an Athlon x2 1.5Ghz. Surprisingly it is more than sufficient to play back 1080p mpeg2 streams.
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast