Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: min install with lubuntu desktop - can't start desktop from cmd line

Beans

Re: min install with lubuntu desktop - can't start desktop from cmd line

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replys! I'm away from my PC and will not be back to it until the weekend.

From memory I know I tried startlxde from the command line as well as putting it in a file. I can't be 100% sure it was ~/.xinitrx but I know I read that archlinux thread pointed to by will45. In any case, when I typed startx it ran the x.org stuff then is ran the config file with the "exec startlxde" line and died with an error. I don't recall the error msg but I recall thinking "Well, that's an improvement, no black screen of death that I can't even ctrl-alt-delete from." I suspect the error message was something like file not found because I recall search all around my install for startlxde but could not find it. I was doning something like cd / <hit return> ls -R | grep startlxde (yeah, i know that's probably not the official way to do it but see comment below.)

I'm pretty sure startlxde is not on my system and I KNOW i installed lubuntu desktop.

sudodus:
    I'll give your suggestion "sudo service lightdm start" a try over the weekend. looks promising. One question: pressing ctrl+alt+F1 then does not kill the desktop, you have to follow that with "sudo service lightdm stop"?

Bucky ball:
    you wrote "Just DON'T install *buntu-desktop anything as that defeats the purpose". I want to give "sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfwm4 lightdm synaptic xorg lxterminal gdm" that you've suggested but, honestly, the sound driver stuff is giving me lots of hell. So I need to stick with *buntu-desktop until i get it figured out. I did try Xbuntu-desktop (as a result of googling for info on your xfce4 suggestion) and that is working better than the Lubuntu on the sound front. One thing I noticed is that speaker-test actually works in Xubuntu without any command line params. However, it seems I can only get sound working when the desktop is running (what I mean is if I ssh into the host while the desktop is NOT running on the host I don't get sound from speaker-test) but with Lubuntu speaker-test over SSH works without the desktop running (but with some command line params).

Anyway, this is enough info for ten posts. I'll give sudodus' suggestion about lightdm a try when I get back and let you all know.

--------------------

Just a bit of background: I've been a linux noob since 1997 (started and quit so many times I lost count). Only this time I'm fed up with the Windows TAX completely so I bought a nice new PC and decided to get Xen going with a music player and if/when I needed to I'll spin up Windows VMs.

I'm still trying to get my base install going, thus this and a few other threads (order of business: base os with a light desktop, MDP (maybe XBMC but I don't think I want much) and then Xen). Fun stuff!

Beans

This is what worked for me to add a minimal, manually started Lubuntu desktop to 14.04 server:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends lubuntu-desktop

echo 'manual' | sudo tee /etc/init/lightdm.override

echo 'lxsession -e LXDE -s Lubuntu' > $HOME/.xsession

startx
    If you're sure you never want to use the GUI display manager to login, you can replace lubuntu-desktop by lubuntu-core, which iirc doesn't include lightdm as a dependency

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends lxde-common lubuntu-core 

echo 'lxsession -e LXDE -s Lubuntu' > $HOME/.Xsession

startx
    (it seems to be necessary to install lxde-common explicitly in order to get the lxsession binary - see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2222849 ). Alternatively, if you just want to run an LX session (rather than the Lubuntu desktop themed one specifically) you should be able to do

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends lxde-common lxde-core 

echo 'lxsession -e LXDE -s LXDE' > $HOME/.Xsession

startx
    Last edited by steeldriver; September 28th, 2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: corrected XFCE4 -> LX

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you're going to install *buntu-desktop anything, I repeat, just install the OS that belongs to that desktop. I.e. if you're installing ubuntu-desktop into a mini install you have defeated the purpose because you have now effectively installed Ubuntu. Same with lubuntu-desktop. If you're going that route, just install Lubuntu. No different and a waste of time going to the bother of a mini install. Save yourself some time and just install the full OS in the first place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hbc2 View Post
    sudodus:
    I'll give your suggestion "sudo service lightdm start" a try over the weekend. looks promising. One question: pressing ctrl+alt+F1 then does not kill the desktop, you have to follow that with "sudo service lightdm stop"?
    I tested it with 14.04 LTS, and it works like that for me: ctrl+alt+F1 does not kill the desktop, you have to follow that with

Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    Run the command in the text screen!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hbc2 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the replys! I'm away from my PC and will not be back to it until the weekend.

From memory I know I tried startlxde from the command line as well as putting it in a file. I can't be 100% sure it was ~/.xinitrx but I know I read that archlinux thread pointed to by will45. In any case, when I typed startx it ran the x.org stuff then is ran the config file with the "exec startlxde" line and died with an error. I don't recall the error msg but I recall thinking "Well, that's an improvement, no black screen of death that I can't even ctrl-alt-delete from." I suspect the error message was something like file not found because I recall search all around my install for startlxde but could not find it. I was doning something like cd / <hit return> ls -R | grep startlxde (yeah, i know that's probably not the official way to do it but see comment below.)

I'm pretty sure startlxde is not on my system and I KNOW i installed lubuntu desktop.

sudodus:

Bucky ball:
    you wrote "Just DON'T install *buntu-desktop anything as that defeats the purpose". I want to give "sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfwm4 lightdm synaptic xorg lxterminal gdm" that you've suggested but, honestly, the sound driver stuff is giving me lots of hell. So I need to stick with *buntu-desktop until i get it figured out. I did try Xbuntu-desktop (as a result of googling for info on your xfce4 suggestion) and that is working better than the Lubuntu on the sound front. One thing I noticed is that speaker-test actually works in Xubuntu without any command line params. However, it seems I can only get sound working when the desktop is running (what I mean is if I ssh into the host while the desktop is NOT running on the host I don't get sound from speaker-test) but with Lubuntu speaker-test over SSH works without the desktop running (but with some command line params).

Anyway, this is enough info for ten posts. I'll give sudodus' suggestion about lightdm a try when I get back and let you all know.

--------------------

Just a bit of background: I've been a linux noob since 1997 (started and quit so many times I lost count). Only this time I'm fed up with the Windows TAX completely so I bought a nice new PC and decided to get Xen going with a music player and if/when I needed to I'll spin up Windows VMs.

I'm still trying to get my base install going, thus this and a few other threads (order of business: base os with a light desktop, MDP (maybe XBMC but I don't think I want much) and then Xen). Fun stuff!
    If startlxde didn't work, I think I know why. And if you want text login, starting lightdm isnt the way to go as it is a display manager. (Just to say, im typing this on my tablet at the moment and im not good with touchscreen typing with big hands )

Make sure lxsession is installed.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxsession
    Then replace
    Code:
    exec startlxde
    in the .xinitrc with
    Code:
    exec lxsession
    Hope it works

Will

Beans

I just tried both sudodus's and will45's suggestions. Both worked. Thanks!

I'm now in the process of rebuilding from scratch more in favor of Bucky Ball's & steeldriver's approach of installing the desktop after doing a min install. Steeldriver's suggestion of not needing a GUI login screen is what I will aiming for now.

Thanks for all your input. I've learned a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12