Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Beans
    Last edited by rustncogs; December 22nd, 2006 at 07:40 AM. Reason: moved to general

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

I'm having the same problem as the other guy...

I download the XAMPP tar file to my Desktop so I open the terminal and enter this command:

tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.5.5a.tar.gz -C /opt

But it says:

tar: xampp-linux-1.5.3a.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

----

So, I tried this:

Open Terminal:

cd Desktop

I get this: ~/Desktop$

And then enter:
    tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.5.5a.tar.gz -C /opt

And I'm still having the same error message... I wonder why this happen? I hope somebody can give me a hand with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I got a LAMP installed, I think :S

How can I uninstall it and install XAMPP?

Or shoulnt I be doing that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Great forum thread you have here, Petervk. =)

Quick question: is it possible to set up some form of a control panel with XAMPP on Ubuntu server distribution? I have the server setup and serving so everything works well, although I'd now like the options to add FTP accounts, manage sub-domains and other similar tasks from a remote web interface.

So, in other words, the server I have setup is a command line, headless system that I have setup and it just..runs. Nothing complicated, but I'd like to use my other computer and Firefox to remotely configure the server.

Does XAMPP already have a form of server configuration already included in it's packages that I maybe need to up setup?

-Patrick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

This was very useful. It's easy to set up and manage, and with this, you have everything in one place. - great howto!

I just have a problem with mySQL, cause i want to set up amarok to use mySQL, but when i make a database and user for it, granting all permissions and everything, amarok can only connect 'sometimes', and not even rescan the collection. it's very strange... Are phpMyAdmin the right tool to set up a database for amarok?

Beans

I have the same problem. going to localhost does nothing. help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi,

I've got the same problem as the recent posters above. Followed all the instructions in the first post (and read the next 9 pages). But http://localhost/user still gives a 403 error (where /opt/lampp/htdocs/user is a sym link to /home/user/pub_html

Thanks

Beans

Seems like the replies to this thread are dead, but anyway...
    I got the same "xampp-linux-1.5.5a.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory", etc errors as well. After trying to add the full path to the .gz name, etc., I finally moved the file to my dir under home & extracted the files. Then I did terminal and sudo mv on the lampp folder and moved it manually to /opt. But, now when I browse to localhost I get:
    "Warning: file_get_contents(lang.tmp) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php on line 2

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php:2) in /opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php on line 4"

I thought maybe all of this had something to do with trying to use XAMPP under XUbuntu, but now I'm not sure.

Anyone been sucessful in using it with XUbuntu 6.10? Or how about success under any 6.10 release??
    Last edited by jd4x4; January 17th, 2007 at 03:59 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Hmm. Well, something must have changed with 6.10, I guess. I set my firefox default download dir to my dir rather than the default Desktop, and downloaded XAMPP again.

Then, with terminal I did "sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.5.5a.tar.gz -C /opt" and it extracted fine, and localhost now works as it should in the browser!

Just to ease my pain, I also downloaded webmin from
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w..._1.310_all.deb
    and then ran (right-click) "Open with GDebi Installer" from Thumber. It too, works as advertized (I'm running XUbuntu 6.10). Now, to figure out how to get the "Sweet" interface in the menu & I'm all set!

Kewl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Found the problem - the sym link should be the other way around. Not from /opt/lampp/htdocs/user to /home/user/pub_html but vice versa.

The following fixed it.
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /opt/lampp/htdocs/$USER /home/$USER/public_html
    sudo chown $USER:$USER /home/$USER/public_html

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast