Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

jonny:
    Thanks. I appreciate the comment.

I did originally intend it for a development environment (that is what I use it for) but I did have to edit the How-to to make my intentions more clear.

foxy123:
    Looks like a permissions error to me. Check the permissions on the link you created. It should be readable by everyone, writeable by only the owner, and executeable by everyone. (Excute on a folder is just being able to open it) And check that the php files in the directory are readable by everyone.

If this doesn't work for you, reply again.
    Peter VK

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by petervk View Post
    foxy123:
    Looks like a permissions error to me. Check the permissions on the link you created. It should be readable by everyone, writeable by only the owner, and executeable by everyone. (Excute on a folder is just being able to open it) And check that the php files in the directory are readable by everyone.

If this doesn't work for you, reply again.
    cheers a lot, it helped!
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by azz View Post
    Actually, it takes about four minutes using Ubuntu Dapper.

Not that Xampp is a bad thing, but that statement is wrong.
    Please point me to the directions and I'll check that 4 min statment out.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nice guide, I'm finding it very useful for testing portals and forums etc etc, but I would really like ftp access, I've used the public_html link to the correct xampp folder and everything works fine when I goto http://localhost/grant however if I start an ftp client and try ftp://localhost/grant I get asked for username and password, which is my default login, I get a directory listing that has my home folder "grant" "webalizer" and "Xampp" I can browse the files in webalizer and xampp but if I click "grant" I get

error 550 /grant : no such file or directory.

Is this because it is just a link ? is there a workaround, I really need local ftp access, because a portal I like relies on having ftp access to the server it resides on, ie my machine.

thx in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Can't write to htdocs - permission denied!

Having installed Xampp to these instructions (worked perfectly, cheers!) I have a query which ive not seen anybody else ask.

I cant write anything to the htdocs directory nor can i change the permissions on the directory using the GUI - it says i am not the owner.

Therefore i cant add any webpages to the directory which is a problem!

I have not tried to create my own web root as per the instructions though. I assumed i might not need to do this and just be able to put stuff in the htdocs folder in lamp. Seems to not be the case.

Some posts here seemt o suggest that it should be possible to put things in the lapm htdocs folder. If this is the case, how do i do it?

Many thanks, Guy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by louieb View Post
    Please point me to the directions and I'll check that 4 min statment out.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

1. Install LAMP and phpmyadmin and whatever else (ftp server)
    2. Set mysql root password
    3. You're done. Apache2, php5 and mysql already talk to each other by default.
    Last edited by az; August 21st, 2006 at 12:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can i online Update XAMPP ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Pardon?

I don't understand what your asking about. Could you please restate the question with more detail.
    Peter VK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There has been a lot of discussion in the thread about using xampp vs installing the Ubuntu lamp packages. So I now I've done both and this has been my experience so far.

Because I am an expert at screwing Ubuntu up I've also become a expert at installing it. Both machines started with a fresh install from the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Live CD. and then software updates were installed.

XAMPP was installed on a PII 400 348MB ram.
    Using the instructions posted at the start of this thread XAMPP was downloaded and installed in about 30 minutes. Mysql is running and Phpmyadmin works. and I had my browser displaying one of my web pages about 10 min later.

Ubuntu Lamp was installed on a PIII 433 256MB ram.
    Using instructions at https://help.Ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
    the lamp package was downloaded an installed in about 30 minutes.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server
    sudo aptitude install of phpmyadmin
    MYSQL is running. At this point Apache is running but is not talking to PHP.

The instruction page has a troubleshooting section for PHP. Took 5-10 minutes to follow and run the commands in that section. Restarted Apache and tried again. Apache is still not talking to PHP.

For what I wanted to do which is set up a development web server XAMPP was the easiest. I followed the installation instructions and it worked.

Ubuntu lamp install was the second easiest even after I take the time to go over the Apache - PHP interface to figure out what is wrong. When I say it is the second easiest I mean it is mostly working now after spending only about 35-40 minutes.

It took me most of a day to set up a LAMP development server on Fedora 5.

This is the reason I took up Linux. I was trying to set up a development server using Windows XP, IIS, PHP5 and MYSQL. It was a pain to get the parts to work together. I finally scraped IIS and installed Apache on the windows box and it was able to get that working. At that point I realized I was close to having my own LAMP machine all I needed was Linux. So I went to Fry's and bought a book that had some Linux distributions. It's been interesting.
    Last edited by louieb; August 24th, 2006 at 04:55 AM.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Thanks for that great tutorial, that's exactly what I've been looking for! Works out of the box on dapper=D>

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast