Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Thats a problem with sourceforge, not a problem, if you go here.. you will get the latest version

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by petervk View Post
    So far this post has just under 200 views, So great. If you read this and use it could you leave a reply saying if it was useful/useless? I'd like to keep improving this how-to, so feedback would be good.
    Thanks for this how-to. I am new in Ubuntu-world, so first I had to figure it out how to navigate to the downloaded file using terminal, but except this I made XAMPP work in some minutes, and I linked my public_html folder succesfully to the htdocs. great work.

Beans

I used xampp in 8.04 and 8.10 but after upgrading to 9.04 I switched to the native installation of apache2 making my desktop machine a 'real' server.

Following the ubuntu guide to do this took half an hour. This included setting up php and mysql which was surprisingly straightforward.

This approach has the benefit of getting all the usual updates etc. for the server and of being 'closer' to the likely deployment environment when testing web applications.

As you end up with a 'production quality' server you can also contemplate using it as an intranet or even allowing client access over the internet when demonstrating or testing features. All in all I would not go back to xampp.

Beans

Hi, I tried this but it does not work for me. I'm a Linux noob using Jaunty and have the xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz downloaded to the desktop. I typed the following into the terminal and this is the response i've gotten:

username-laptop:~$ sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz -C /opt
    tar: xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    I don't know what this means or what to do to get it installed from here. Can someone please help? (and yes, this is what I want to do; not to install them separately).

Beans

Hi, I tried this but it does not work for me. I'm a Linux noob using Jaunty...
    See my reply earlier in this thread. As Ubuntu progresses every six months, things get better. It is now very easy to use the standard repositories to get your system perfectly set up for web development.

There is no point in using the xampp package for Ubuntu any more. Install apache2 (use synaptic), and follow the guide to add php, mysql and https as necessary for your purposes.

That way you have a good guide, regular security updates as necessary, and canonical support if you need it (although you may need to upgrade to a server support rather than desktop package if you have a lot of queries specific to apache2).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sherwinraavi View Post
    Hi, I tried this but it does not work for me. I'm a Linux noob using Jaunty and have the xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz downloaded to the desktop. I typed the following into the terminal and this is the response i've gotten:

I don't know what this means or what to do to get it installed from here. Can someone please help? (and yes, this is what I want to do; not to install them separately).

You can probably use the repositories easier, but it looks like the reason the tar failed is that you are not on the desktop if the prompt is correct in your example. You have to be in the same directory as the file in order to tar it. (or include the full path.)

Beans

And how do I remove it?

Beans

Code:
    sudo rm -r /opt/lampp
    from memory.

If you are auto starting the server you should remove the relevant start up commands too.

Beans

Is your XAMPP symbolic link not working?

Thanks to ReyPeste's post in this thread I've got it working for me. I'm posting this because it has taken me 3 days to solve this issue and from reading this entire thread I see others have the same problem. I see some members have even compromised in putting their development files in /opt/lampp/htdocs/ which would mean they would be outside of the /home directory completely and so (in most cases) on the distro files partition rather than the /home partition. Also, I am using 64 bit Jaunty so it does definitely work on this distro. I am no expert but would like to share my solution.

I installed XAMPP and tried to create a symbolic link with the code below (as the tutorial at the start of this thread) which I have used successfully before on another Ubuntu box.

mkdir ~/public_html

sudo ln -s ~/public_html /opt/lampp/htdocs/$USER

However. I get an error message.

"Access forbidden! You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected."

The Cure:

When I installed my 64bit Jaunty I read somewhere on this Forum that it would be a good idea to set permissions for better security on my /home directory to 700 (rwx --- ---) . It was this that was preventing XAMPP/apache to allow me to use http://localhost/tom/ and giving me the 403 error. I've now changed to 755 (rwx r-x r-x). Now the thing is I've searched to find what the default Ubuntu /home directory permissions are and I can't find a reference. All I can find is the advice to set it to 700 (which caused my particular problemo). 755 I think is the Ubuntu default setting will mean other users on my pc can see my files but that's not a problem.

Tom
    Last edited by TomBrown2009; September 3rd, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

I really like the *AMPP softwares but ive never tried if for linux. I guess its time to move on from windows...

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast