Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TISEAN installation

Beans

TISEAN installation

Dear Ubuntu users,

I am trying to install in /home a program called Tisean; if u have a look at the webpage where they explain how to install it, they tell you you'll "probably" need to just run 3 commands:

> ./configure --prefix=/my_home/Tisean_3.0.1
    > make
    > make install

However, this is not the case in my case since I keep getting always the same error message when I run the 3rd command (> make install), that is:

make: *** [do_install] Error 1

which is not self-explanatory at all! It must be something that has to do with the --prefix, which - if I got it right - is where the executables are put...

Could somebody help me out?

Thank you in advance,

Nicola

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: TISEAN installation

Code:
    sudo make install
    You can configure and make (compile) files locally, but to install them to the system requires root or sudo privileges.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

It should be possible to run 'make install' without sudo provided you have specified the --prefix correctly at the configure stage - what exactly are you substituting for my_home when you run the command? Does the directory Tisean_3.0.1 exist there?

Beans

Dear tgalati4 & steeldriver,

thank you very much both for your help!

I think steeldriver is right, indeed I have just $ sudo make install but I've got the same message, and I agree again with steeldriver that the problem might be the prefix I am specifying... So, my home is simply home I have downloaded the tar.gz there. Afterwards, as explained here, I $ gunzip TISEAN_3.0.1.tar.gz and then $ tar -vxf TISEAN_3.0.1.tar, so that now I have my folder home/Tisean_3.0.1; now I go inside it, i.e. inside the folder home/Tisean_3.0.1 and do the following:

$ ./configure --prefix=/home/Tisean_3.0.1
    $ make
    $ make install

Can you find anything wrong? Should I remove the name of the Tisean folder from the prefix and just leave the name of my home folder? Thank you in advance!!

Nicola

Beans

PS in the maenwhile that you reply, I have tried with:

$ ./configure --prefix=/home
    $ make
    $ make install

and the error message I have got is the following:

$ /home/bin does not exist

Beans

PPS for the sake of compliteness, what they write in their website, where you can download the software from, is:

By default, the executables go to $HOME/bin, you can change that to mydir by

> ./configure --prefix=mydir

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_directory#Unix
    In Unix, a user will be automatically placed into their home directory upon login. The ~user shorthand variable refers to a user's home directory (allowing the user to navigate to it from anywhere else in the filesystem, or use it in other Unix commands).
    The ~ (tilde character) shorthand command refers to that particular user's home directory.
    So maybe you should try either ~home or the absolute path /home/nicola/
    You would also probably have to create the directory /home/nicola/bin or whatever you choose to call it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_directory#Unix

So maybe you should try either ~home or the absolute path /home/nicola/
    You would also probably have to create the directory /home/nicola/bin or whatever you choose to call it.
    Dear coldraven,

thank you for replying!

Regarding creating a new bin directory, I thought I should use one of the following 4 (and not create a new one):
    1. /bin
    2. /usr/bin
    3. /usr/local/bin
    4. /home/Tisean_3.0.1/bin

Which one of these 4? I say this because one usually doesnìt create a new bin folder each time he/she installs a program...

Nicola

Beans

$HOME and /home are not the same thing, you will not be able to write to /home without sudo permissions, whereas you have complete freedom to create whatever files you want in $HOME (which is a variable corresponding to your home directory, like /home/nicola). The tilde character ~ is a synonym for $HOME.

If you want all users of the computer to be able to use the Tisean software, you should probably install it to a location like /usr/local (i.e. use --prefix=/usr/local) - in that case you will need to use 'sudo make install'

If you want to install the software just for you - or you don't have sudo privileges - you should install to $HOME. It looks like the installer doesn't create the bin directory itself, so you will need to do something like

Code:
    mkdir ~/bin

./configure --prefix=$HOME

make

make install
    According to the info you posted, $HOME is the default install location - if that is the case you don't really even need to specify a --prefix value at all, but it will not hurt anything to be explicit. If ~/bin does already exist, mkdir will throw an error - which you can ignore.

Once the ~/bin directory exists, it will be added to your PATH next time you log in, so that any executables placed there will be found by the system.

Beans

Hi steeldriver,

thank you very muc hfor your clear explanation! Unfortunately I have tried first to install the software for all users (used --prefix=/usr/local & then 'sudo make install') but I've got the error message 'make: *** [do_install] Error 1'; afterwards I have tried to install the software for myself and I have therefore followed your instructions (mkdir ~/bin; ./configure --prefix=$HOME; make; make install), but I've got again the same error message... Don't know what else to do...

Nicola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast