Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TISEAN installation

Beans

Re: TISEAN installation

can you post some more lines of context around the do_install error please, and also the output of

Code:
    ls -ld ~/bin

Beans

unfortunately I cannot tell you more about the error message because 'make: *** [do_install] Error 1' is the only information that is printed out instead, if I type in: 'ls -ld ~/bin', then I get: 'drwxrwxr-x 2 nicola nicola 4096 Jul 14 14:39 /home/nicola/bin'...

Beans

Well I just downloaded it and it built fine on my Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit system

I suggest you start over and re-extract the archive in case any permissions or configuration settings have got messed up with the various install attempts. Having seen how many executable programs it splurges into ~/bin (76) I'm actually going to modify my advice and suggest you install it to a subdirectory of your $HOME dir (and then add to your PATH as necessary)

First remove the unpacked Tisean_3.0.1 source directory that you're currently using, then:

Code:
    mkdir -p $HOME/tisean/bin

tar xvf path/to/TISEAN_3.0.1.tar.gz

cd Tisean_3.0.1

./configure --prefix=$HOME/tisean

make

make install
    Of course you can choose whatever name you want for the directory 'tisean' under $HOME

Beans

I followed exactly what you told me (adding minus xvf to the tar command, which, I think, you forgot) but I keep getting the same error message ;( 'make: *** [do_install] Error 1'; I have tried to look for the string "Error 1" in the files inside Tisean_3.0.1, but I could not find any... Could it be that my problem is that, when configuring, I get the following warning:

checking whether (f77 ) works... no
    checking whether (g77 ) works... no
    checking whether (f77 +U77 ) works... no
    checking whether (f77 -q -f -B108 -lU77 ) works... no
    configure: warning:
    *** No usable Fortran compiler found
    *** You will not be able to use some of the routines
    *** If you do have a working Fortran compiler called, say, myf77 -trick, do:
    *** $ setenv FC myf77 -trick
    *** and rerun

Or might it be that I have a problem with make? I had a look in my software center and make is installed...
    Last edited by Nicola_Staffolani; July 14th, 2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo + missed info

Beans

Yes - clearly if there is no Fortran compiler, then the 'make' stage will fail, and there will be nothing to 'install'. You will need to install a Fortran compiler e.g.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gfortran
    and then start over. If you don't have sudo privileges you will need to ask your system administrator to do that for you.

Beans

Wonderfull steeldriver, that was the problem!! Actually I have installed gfortran as you told me,

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gfortran
    but I've got:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    gfortran is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

And indeed, as I already had told, the fortran 95 was already installed on my computer. But then I thought I might need another version of fortran compiler, so I googled "how to install a fortran compiler ubuntu" and then installed the fortran 77 compiler and now tisean is workinmg, so that was the problem!!

Hearthly thank you very much steeldriver, I don't think I would have been successfull without your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

PS should I declare this problem as solved or will some administrator/moderator of the forum do it?

Beans

You should mark it as SOLVED yourself using the 'Thread Tools' drop down menu near the top of the page

In future, you should ALWAYS note and correct errors from the ./configure stage before moving on to the 'make' (and likewise, fix any errors from 'make' before trying to 'make install')

Beans

OK, thank you again for your precious advices!!!
    Nicola

Beans

Hi mate,
    I think the problem is regarding to install fortran compiler (checkyour warning message).
    you can install fortran compiler or just fortran
    sudo ap-get install fort77

Regards

Bahaa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12