Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB External Drive not accessible

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

USB External Drive not accessible

I have a USB 3 drive (WD My Passport) that has worked for ages on my computer. But now when I plug it in, I can't open it up. It is not recognized in fdisk at all.

It still works on USB 2 ports. Just not my USB 3 ports.

All my other external drives and flash drives (which are all USB 3 drives) work in the same (in all) USB 3 ports. I even have another WD MyPassport (same type) that still works. Its just this one drive.

I don't think its the drive itself though. Because like I said, it still works in the USB 2 ports on my linux computer. And it works on all USB ports (USB 2 and 3) and any of the other computers here at work. The drive works fine everywhere except my USB 3 ports. But like I said, my USB 3 ports work fine with any other drive.

The drive is kind of recognized, here is dmesg after plugging it in. But fdisk doesn't recognize it at all.

Code:
    [ 1660.590184] usb 6-1.4: new SuperSpeed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd[ 1660.609863] scsi11 : usb-storage 6-1.4:1.0
    [ 1661.609629] scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WD       My Passport 0748 1019 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
    [ 1661.609900] scsi 11:0:0:1: Enclosure         WD       SES Device       1019 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
    [ 1661.610679] sd 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
    [ 1661.610784] ses 11:0:0:1: Attached Enclosure device
    [ 1661.610848] ses 11:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 13
    So it appears to at least see the drive.

Why doesn't fdisk recognize it?

I don't believe I did any sort of updating between the drive working and not working (I'm not 100% positive on that, I just don't remember running updates recently, and I use this drive multiple times every day, but I may just be forgetful about the last time I ran updates).

How do I get access to this drive on my USB 3 ports?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: USB External Drive not accessible

I hate to bump a thread, but it has been 4 days and I still have the same problem. Hard drive works everywhere but my USB 3 ports. All other drives work in my USB 3 ports.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Are the other drives Western Digital also?

The WD I have is the only one that causes problems

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have a 1TB WD MyPassport that works fine in the ports. But I have a 2TB WD MyPassport which is the one that causes problems.

I then have a Corsair Voyager Go USB 3 flash drive that works fine everywhere. And I have a multitude of USB 2 flash drives that also work fine everywhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So this still is a problem, but it has grown. Now BOTH my WD MyPassport drives don't recognize in USB 3. But both still recognize in USB 2.

I got told to try check disk in windows (since they are ntfs drives, which I have to have since most work computers are Win7).

I tried check disk 3 or 4 times, with reboots between on the drives. Always came back fine.

SO...I tried changing the drives to ext4. I formatted the 2TB one to ext 4. It STILL doesn't work on USB 3. As an ext4 drive, it still works as a USB 2. The ext4 format (just like the ntfs format) works on my home USB 3.0 linux (both my home and work computer are kubuntu 12.04).

So even as ext4, I have the same problem. Just these two drives don't work on my work computer usb 3.0. The drives work on usb 3 on other computers. The drives work on usb 2 on this computer.

Other usb 3 drives work fine on my work computer.

I have to figure this out. I am routinely transferring 400-900 Gb at work 1-2 times a week. Last night it took 11 hours to transfer my data on usb 2.

I really don't want to have to buy a new drive right now. But this is no good.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Eventually someone will see this that knows enough about hard drives to at least point me in the right direction.

Here is one more piece of information. I discovered if I leave the drives plugged in while I boot, the boot hangs and I can see the following error:

Code:
    ata_id[834]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for /dev/sde: Invalid argument
    I tried looking up that error, and I got no where. Either it was an upgrade issue (which is not the case for me). Or I found things saying "just ignore the error, its a hdparm issue and not important".

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bump...sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So I tried a few more drives from co-workers, just to make sure. I tried a 3rd WD MyPassport, it did NOT work. I tried a Silicone Power drive, it did NOT work. I tried a Toshiba drive, it DID work. I tried another flash usb 3.0 drive and it DID work. And I tried a seagate drive, it did NOT work.

So I'm down to no ideas. All flash drives I've tried have worked. But right now, only the Toshiba external USB 3 HDD works on my ports.

All of these HDD drives and flash drives work on other USB 3 ports on other computers.

All of them worked on my machine just a few weeks (maybe a month or two) ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

One more piece of information. I forgot I had a dual-boot windows install on this computer. It's been like a year since I've used it, but I have it.

And....The hard drives work fine there. All hard drives work in my USB 3 ports in windows.

So it HAS to be a setting in linux/ubuntu here that is causing me grief. I REALLY don't want to re-install. But after 2+ weeks here of no answers, I may just have to. But I thought I would try again, in case someone out there has any brilliant ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bump, I'm going to try this a few more times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast