Thread: YouTube wants you to know that slow, buffer-plagued video is ISP's fault

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

YouTube wants you to know that slow, buffer-plagued video is ISP's fault

Useful article., particularly this Google rating service mentioned in the article.

This Google service is pretty handy so you know where you stand in general.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: YouTube wants you to know that slow, buffer-plagued video is ISP's fault

I noticed that the Google rating service is a 30 day average. It could vary a lot day to day. Anyway here is want I get, without revealing my ISP.

Percent ChartScreenshot - 14-07-09 - 03:57:06 PM.png

Volume ChartScreenshot - 14-07-09 - 04:36:17 PM.png
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; July 9th, 2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Nice that they used Mario.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A recent study from cloud-service provider Akami, reveals that the U.S. — creators of the web -- is not even in the global top 10 when it comes to Internet speeds. In fact, the U.S. is more than 50 percent slower than the world’s fastest Internet found in South Korea.
    well when there are large parts of the us that are stuck with 2 choices for Internet (dial-up and satlight) what do you expect to happen to the average?
    luckily i happen to be able to get good cable Internet service
    i have the slowest speed my provider offers: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3615008916
    there are only 4 other choices for me: dial-up, satlight, dsl (1Mbps or 3Mbps), and cell phone based. none of which even come close in the price/performance ratio
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It would be bit unfair to compare US to Korea though, one can have all the advanced technology but one also needs to think of the implementation factor largely dependent on size of locality. Life is tough if you live in sub urban or even further remote place, at least as far as getting good net connection goes.
    Please mark the thread as ''solved'' if your query has been resolved.
    How to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

The reason the US is so slow is because so many people live here. I get a whoppign 18mbps down and 5 up. It takes me 1 hour to upload a 1 hour video, but I can stream 1080p fine.