Thread: Can the login screen be customized ? (ubuntu 14.04 with Xfce DE)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can the login screen be customized ? (ubuntu 14.04 with Xfce DE)

I've found this web page saying that the Ubuntu login screen can be customized but is this true?? I don't want to try it unless it's ok to mess with it this way. I mean, heaven forbid I can't login after that!

Does anyone know?

P.S. I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Xfce DE.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can the login screen be customized ? (ubuntu 14.04 with Xfce DE)

I would not follow that advice if I was using Ubuntu 14.04 and I am using 14.04. It seems to have very, very old images. Ubuntu has not had those themes in its appearance utility for years. And Ubuntu does not use GDM (Gnome Display Manager). Ubuntu uses the Light Display Manager (LightDM) and has used it for years.

In what way do you want to customize the log in screen? If we select a static background as wallpaper then that becomes the background for the login screen. So, what would you like to do?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I would not follow that advice if I was using Ubuntu 14.04 and I am using 14.04. It seems to have very, very old images. Ubuntu has not had those themes in its appearance utility for years. And Ubuntu does not use GDM (Gnome Display Manager). Ubuntu uses the Light Display Manager (LightDM) and has used it for years.

In what way do you want to customize the log in screen? If we select a static background as wallpaper then that becomes the background for the login screen. So, what would you like to do?

Regards.
    Thanks for the info. I wont do what that page says then.

I want a different background and to turn off the login sound.
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How about this page saying how to change the login screen background? (It failed because I just tried it) Is this page correct on how to change it or did I just do it wrong?
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

Regards.
    You said, "If we select a static background as wallpaper then that becomes the background for the login screen." Does this mean ubuntu should choose my desktop wallpaper?? If yes, it's choosing an old one I once used so to try to make it choose my current one I deleted everything from that folder leaving only the one that's my desktop image. It failed. It's still choosing that old one. I even restarted hoping it would take effect but it didnt.

What am I doing wrong? I assume it's me.........
    Linux user #572109