Thread: Disappearing files

Beans

Disappearing files

Hey all, I'm running a live session to try to fix my brother's computer, I am not at all new to Ubuntu, but this rar file with the program I need to use is giving me trouble. I had to update the Software server to universe to even get unrar-free to install. so then I have this .rar file in ./Downloads and in the terminal, the program keeps saying that it extracted, and all is ok, but the contents of the rar file are not showing up, its just still the rar file. I had to rename it because it had a -S at the beginning of file name, and unrar kept thinking i was passing -S as an option, so right now it is Spnrte6.rar and I've tried
    unrar x ./Spnrte6.rar -p
    (which didn't even ask me for the password)
    unrar e ./Downloads/Spnrte6.rar ./Documents (from the home dir)

...has anyone ever had this problem with unrar? or possibly know what's going on here.....thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Disappearing files

Quote Originally Posted by lemonoid View Post
    Hey all, I'm running a live session to try to fix my brother's computer, I am not at all new to Ubuntu, but this rar file with the program I need to use is giving me trouble. I had to update the Software server to universe to even get unrar-free to install. so then I have this .rar file in ./Downloads and in the terminal, the program keeps saying that it extracted, and all is ok, but the contents of the rar file are not showing up, its just still the rar file. I had to rename it because it had a -S at the beginning of file name, and unrar kept thinking i was passing -S as an option, so right now it is Spnrte6.rar and I've tried
    unrar x ./Spnrte6.rar -p
    (which didn't even ask me for the password)
    unrar e ./Downloads/Spnrte6.rar ./Documents (from the home dir)

...has anyone ever had this problem with unrar? or possibly know what's going on here.....thanks in advance
    I don't think you are using unrar correctly. If I was going to use unrar on an archive in the current working directory I would use this
    Code:
    unrar e Spnrte6.rar
    ...I'm not sure why you used the command as you have.

The second command also. Why are you adding a . (dot) at the front of the path to the archive? When stating a path it is either absolute (starting with /) or relative to where you are. From the home directory, The directory Downloads would be: Downloads so the path to the file would be: Downloads/Spnrte6.rar. No . (dot) at the beginning.

The path to a file and the that path that the OS uses to find an executable are similar but not used in the same manner. The . (dot) user with a executable says: look for an executable starting in the current working directory. This is because the default executable path does not include the current working directory.
    Last edited by capscrew; July 6th, 2014 at 07:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Disappearing files

I think the syntax is not correct, in case first command, you have written:

Code:
    unrar x ./Spnrte6.rar -p
    I assume you are in directory where Spnrte6.rar file is, I would write:

Code:
    unrar x -p password Spntrte6.rar
    , see :http://superuser.com/questions/41367...file-on-ubuntu

In case second command, you have written:
    Code:
    unrar e ./Downloads/Spnrte6.rar ./Documents
    But I would write the entire path, i.e:

Code:
    unrar e /home/your_user_name/Downloads/Spnrte6.rar  /home/your_user_name/Documents/
    , see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...neral_syntax_2