Thread: Looking for Ubuntu for PowerPC

Beans

Looking for Ubuntu for PowerPC

I have an older MacOSX 10.5 Leopard Powerbook. Is there a Ubuntu version that'll work with this thing. I'd like to use XFCE or LXDE if possible. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Looking for Ubuntu for PowerPC

Yes. lubuntu 14.04 installs fine. There might be a problem with sound. You could ask help to lubuntuusers mailing list too. As for me i resolved, for a pb 17", by keeping lubuntu 14.04 but downgrading the kernel to 3.2-4 or something like that. It's not really elegant, but it works - for the moment (the reason for the sound problem is an inherited bug from the debian kernels > 3.2) And i get also all upgrades ... May be there will be video problems which you can resolve using specific settings either on the fly for the live-cd like as well for yaboot in the final installation. As for me i've: video=radeonfb:1440x900-32 But that depends on the graphic card of your machine, obviously. Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thread moved to Apple Users.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jacatone View Post
    I have an older MacOSX 10.5 Leopard Powerbook. Is there a Ubuntu version that'll work with this thing. I'd like to use XFCE or LXDE if possible. Thanks.
    If i were you would forget any Ubuntu distro for aple PPC ,install debian wheezy ppc unless you want to pull your hair and get bold faster.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    If i were you would forget any Ubuntu distro for aple PPC ,install debian wheezy ppc unless you want to pull your hair and get bold faster.
    +1 Some remarks: - Even there you have the sound problem. - If you do it, install also the sid repositories. - Mint-PPC is wheezy based (but contains some few ppc specific tweakings). --- Personally, i tweaked my original lubuntu installation to get as close as possible to crunchbang (which as a distro does not exist for ppc).