Thread: Window, menu, keystrokes very slow on Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unhappy Window, menu, keystrokes very slow on Unity

Just installed the July 4 Utopic 32 bit on 2 gHz Pentium 4
    I've got unity tweak tool and supposedly turned window animations off.

Windows and menus open v e r y s l o w l y. Keystroke response is s l o w.

BTW, I've got Lubuntu tahr in another partition running just fine, thank you.

How do I turn off the very slow jerky opening and closing of windows?
    select something, gradually opens in jerky stages gradually increasing in brightness. Closing is the reverse

How do I get back to the ubuntu snap?

I'm interested in applications, not sluggish animations when they interfere with speed of operation. I've been on Ubuntu since Dapper Drake Beta and this is the slowest response I've seen.

Thanks for any ideas.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Window, menu, keystrokes very slow on Unity

What video driver is being used? Ubuntu has a fall back video driver called llvmpipe. It is used when we select Recovery>Resume. It definitely has a slow response to windows opening and closing. If the graphic adapter is not capable of running Unity 3D then we get llvmpipe.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Re: Window, menu, keystrokes very slow on Unity

It's been a while since I've tried to find video driver in use. I looked in Xorg.0.log and saw "vesa" and Dri2 I think.

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01

What Unity is doing when I select a window or menu is to show the window maybe 4 or 5 times in gradually increasing brightness. Any way to get Unity to show the window or menu once in final brightness instead of gradually creeping up or gradually fading away in 4 or 5 steps?

I'm no fan of XFCE I do run Lubuntu mostly checking for bugs.

I've got utopic on a netbook, notebook, and tower haven't noticed this problem but it's been a month or so since I've installed utopic on htem.

Thanks

Update - I'm using the on-board video. The motherboard does have an AGP slot if I want to try that, else run lubuntu.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; July 6th, 2014 at 12:55 AM.