Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Mate Remix

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Mate Remix

I found this on discourse.ubuntu. It is said to be based upon 14.10 and it is very, very much under development, so I thought I would post it here for the interest of those who are concerned about Ubuntu and the classic look and older hardware.

http://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-remix-alpha1/

http://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu...x-alpha-1/1770

http://ubuntu-mate.org/about/

The web page has screen shots.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu Mate Remix

I installed Ubuntu Mate this morning, it is awesome! The old Ubuntu look and feel with a modern system under the hood. This is light on resources and runs great! People that miss the Ubuntu Gnome 2x days are really going to love this!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I installed the Mate remix in a vm, it looks like 2006 all over again. I expected an updated version of the gnome interface, Don't these people have a design person on the team?

Beans

I kind of like the old school look. I like how Firefox is playing YouTube videos in HTML5 too, full screen with no hesitation and decent resource use. Nice! I really thought my days with Gnome 2x were done and over but this is sort of cool.

I read that the Mate developers had cleaned up the code quite a bit for the current release. I can't remember Gnome 2x 64 bit running this light and quick. I have been enjoying this all day!
    Last edited by cariboo; July 8th, 2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: normalize font to comply with Forum C of C

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Should get a lot of testing and support and as soon Debian will spin an official MATE install disk we will get numbers how many people will use MATE. Good project and IMHO most interesting Ubuntu Remix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been running MATE 1.8 installed on a 14.10 netinstall for a couple of weeks. It's been fine. Did a quick install of MATE Remix, compared the package list and they were essentially identical.

The Remix has patched Ambiance and Radiance to work better in MATE and is hyping the retrospective look. Theming is ephemeral, though, so any working MATE theme could be used. (MATE needs themes with both GTK2 GTK3 components; old Gnome 2 themes are GTK2 only and probably won't correctly handle GTK3 apps.)

Perhaps since MATE 1.8 is stable and much of the focus of 14.10 development is likely to be in packages not used in this remix, it will become quite usable sooner than later. Should appeal to people who don't want to adopt Mint approach.

(Nitnoy: If it's named after a South American plant, why does the project use all upper case -- MATE -- as if it were an acronym?)

Beans

The only real problem I have found is that if I install the ubuntu-restricted-extras nothing is getting installed. I can still watch YouTube videos in HTML5 with Firefox and I converted some music over to ogg files for now. Mp3,s, mp4's, flv's, etc will not play at all even after manually installing the gstreamer packages. Odd but still usable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Just randomly closed after 23MBs of download.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Just randomly closed after 23MBs of download.
    The updater is downloading iso's?

Beans

There was also a bug with the network icon not displaying in the panel. After experimenting with trying to build a Mate version of 14.04 I found that trying to remove the Ubuntu control center caused the Gnome control center to be installed. Both of these caused problems with various things not launching from the Mate control center.

I probably should have tried my experiment with a minimal install but I can see where the developers are going to have dependency issues they will have to resolve to make this work. In my attempt I had everything working except the network icon in the panel and user manager in the Mate control center. I could launch user manager from the terminal but I could tell that the other control center was interfering with it.

I had the improved theme installed and other than the bugs I mentioned it was running reasonably well. At any rate, I can see where the developers have more to do bfore the 14.10 release is ready for prime time. I did try the fixes for the network applet with no success. All in all it was fun tinkering around with this and it gave me some insight to the problems that the developers will have to resolve.

Edit: In my experiment I was removing all of Unity and various elements of Gnome trying to make a pure Mate remix of 14.04.
    Last edited by d-cosner; July 8th, 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast