Thread: Privacy on LAN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Privacy on LAN

Hi,

I started using cable broadband recently. This ISP supports local peering and caching .

While using torrent, if the local peer discovery is enabled the torrent client connects to local peers also and the local IP of the peer gets displayed in torrent client.

Is there a way to hide my LAN ip (which is static) or make it look different so that the other users who are downloading the same file dont see my IP ?
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Privacy on LAN

Anyone you connect to has your IP as thats the way torrents work. If you want to hide your IP then use a VPN or Proxy.
    -Chayak

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chayak View Post
    Anyone you connect to has your IP as thats the way torrents work. If you want to hide your IP then use a VPN or Proxy.

Yes but using a VPN or Proxy will hide IP frm the global peers not the local peers.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your cable modem connects to a LAN? Get a router so you have your own private IP space and don't have to worry about hiding from peers on it.
    -Chayak

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chayak View Post
    Your cable modem connects to a LAN? Get a router so you have your own private IP space and don't have to worry about hiding from peers on it.
    There is no modem. Its a Cat5 cable which is directly connected to the onboard NIC. Yes I guess buying a router is the only way out. I have found one which will work with this type of a connection. http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/?model=TL-WR740N
    Lubuntu 20.04