Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question Regarding Utopic Unicorn Live Session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Question Regarding Utopic Unicorn Live Session

That's not exactly how it is:

current/ 02-Jul-2014 08:22 - Latest images to have passed any automatic testing; try this first
    pending/ 02-Jul-2014 08:22 - Most recently built images; not yet automatically tested

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I downloaded that live session of 14.10 development 64 bit he gave me and indeed it IS running the 3.15 kernel, so i was able to do my tests...what i am noticing is the ubuntu patched version on 14.10 does run somewhat cooler then the mainline one does....The mainline version is called 3.15.0 (which i have installed on my 14.04) the ubuntu patched version of 14.10 is called: 3.15.0-6.11....

Is there any (simple) and safe way to install the utopic ubuntu patched version on ubuntu 14.04?
    If so, where do you get it from and how do you do it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I downloaded that live session of 14.10 development 64 bit he gave me and indeed it IS running the 3.15 kernel, so i was able to do my tests...what i am noticing is the ubuntu patched version on 14.10 does run somewhat cooler then the mainline one does....The mainline version is called 3.15.0 (which i have installed on my 14.04) the ubuntu patched version of 14.10 is called: 3.15.0-6.11....

Is there any (simple) and safe way to install the utopic ubuntu patched version on ubuntu 14.04?
    Of course...
    Just take the same route that was mentioned here (above:#5(about a post of mine)):
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/li...15.0-6-generic
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/li...aders-3.15.0-6
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/linux-firmware
    (I hope I did not forget some) and install those .deb files as You would from mainline...
    Just be carefull to install only specific .deb files not a pointers for packaged so You would get regular updates for 14.04 and still have option to use newest kernel (from 14.10, for example) in 14.04...
    Beware that automatic upgrade will not work for this kernel and its constituents and that You will have to purge this and install newer kernel every time it appears...
    Last edited by zika; July 4th, 2014 at 08:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, Zika comes through again
    You know, i am Mr. "technophobe" so you will have to help me along a bit...would i just need to download a deb from one of these mirrors (on the page i show here)?
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/am...neric/download

And, then, how would i install? (is it just one deb package) can i open it in ubuntu software center and have it install for me?
    Also, should i need to remove it, will i be able to do it using the synaptic package manager? (which is they way i have been removing the mainline kernels)?

If i need multiple packages from that website...which specific ones are needed for the 64 bit version (generic not low latency)...
    I'm surprised no one puts out a guide on how to do it...many sites show you easily how to install the mainline kernel (using 3 terminal commands to download the debs and 1 command to install)...but seems like no one spoon feeds it like that for the ubuntu patched version of the same kernel...

Do you mean i have to install all 5 of those deb packages (you linked above)...this all sounds a lot more confusing

Seems like the easiest way i can actually get the ubuntu patched version is to upgrade my 14.04 to 14.10 development but as i have mentioned, i only have 1 computer and use 1 Os only and i have been getting the impression that i wouldn't be able to count on 14.10 to be as reliable as 14.04 is...if i could, i'd upgrade in a heart beat
    Last edited by craig10x; July 4th, 2014 at 09:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

whichever way you read it, this IS the dev version - if it breaks, that's what it does

if you only have 1 computer and 1 OS then you really shouldn't run dev

I use vm's a lot just to check what the dailies are like, I check in here prior to updating, I check a few m/l's I read to see what's happened, I read the backlog in some IRC channels - then I STILL update and break it

if you can't do those things for whatever reason you're in the wrong place

Beans
    Distro

I guess so, Elfy...still i wonder if anyone could outline for me an easy way to get the ubuntu patched version of the the 3.15 kernel on to my 14.04 install...then i could run with it until 14.10 is final released and get it (or even the 3.16 kernel by then if that is what it gets released with) by default...

I'd need 3.15.0-6 in the 64 bit version...so if anyone can give me an a-z outline of exactly what to do to get it on here, i'd be very grateful

Beans
    Distro

I came upon this site...would this be good to use? seems like he compiles the ubuntu kernel (in this case 3.15.0-6) and puts it in a zip file....instructions seem to say to unzip it then run the terminal command he gives to install it (i am assuming you would copy and paste the 3 lines together as one and enter in the terminal?)...perhaps this would be an easier way for me to get that kernel on my 14.04 install?
    http://extonlinux.wordpress.com/2014...3-15-0-stable/
    Last edited by craig10x; July 5th, 2014 at 05:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ah, Zika comes through again
    You know, i am Mr. "technophobe" so you will have to help me along a bit...would i just need to download a deb from one of these mirrors (on the page i show here)?
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/am...neric/download

And, then, how would i install? (is it just one deb package) can i open it in ubuntu software center and have it install for me?
    Also, should i need to remove it, will i be able to do it using the synaptic package manager? (which is they way i have been removing the mainline kernels)?

If i need multiple packages from that website...which specific ones are needed for the 64 bit version (generic not low latency)...
    I'm surprised no one puts out a guide on how to do it...many sites show you easily how to install the mainline kernel (using 3 terminal commands to download the debs and 1 command to install)...but seems like no one spoon feeds it like that for the ubuntu patched version of the same kernel...

Do you mean i have to install all 5 of those deb packages (you linked above)...this all sounds a lot more confusing

Seems like the easiest way i can actually get the ubuntu patched version is to upgrade my 14.04 to 14.10 development but as i have mentioned, i only have 1 computer and use 1 Os only and i have been getting the impression that i wouldn't be able to count on 14.10 to be as reliable as 14.04 is...if i could, i'd upgrade in a heart beat
    If that is the „easiest way“ than we do have very different metrics about „easy“.
    Bolded was answered in my reply...
    ad italic: That is for sure not the way of using those kernels that anyone would encourage and that would make a mess more that it would make any good... Purpose is not to make Frankenstein installs, I'm sure...

I guess so, Elfy...still i wonder if anyone could outline for me an easy way to get the ubuntu patched version of the the 3.15 kernel on to my 14.04 install...then i could run with it until 14.10 is final released and get it (or even the 3.16 kernel by then if that is what it gets released with) by default...

I'd need 3.15.0-6 in the 64 bit version...so if anyone can give me an a-z outline of exactly what to do to get it on here, i'd be very grateful
    Define „easy way“ so it would be easy(er) to answer.

I came upon this site...would this be good to use? seems like he compiles the ubuntu kernel (in this case 3.15.0-6) and puts it in a zip file....instructions seem to say to unzip it then run the terminal command he gives to install it (i am assuming you would copy and paste the 3 lines together as one and enter in the terminal?)...perhaps this would be an easier way for me to get that kernel on my 14.04 install?
    http://extonlinux.wordpress.com/2014...3-15-0-stable/
    You were active while I was asleep...
    Kernel You're mentioning is not the one that do have patches that made Your machine cooler... Again difference in what „easier way“ is if it do not fullfill constraint given... Not to mention that I do not see any reason to introduce third party kernel now into discussion... Unsecure way of thinking...
    Last night I've just simply answered (with direct and clear instructions) (simply DL all the packages given, checking one again if I did forget or give a package more than it is needed, in a folder, I use /tmp, and issue simple
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    while being in that folder, and that it's it. Be sure to watch for questions that dpkg might throw at You and answer very restrictively.) to Your question:

During the night You've opened several new ones...
    I thought that You've asked for one specific kernel that worked on Your machine well and that You've tried...
    As I see it, as kids and fashionable ones nowadays say, the easiest way is to fuhgeddaboudit.
    Let alone the fact that You've driven me into deep offtopic (talking about 14.04) (for which I apologize to others) so I will refrain myself from getting any deeper... Only because at least one FA partcipated in this off-topic so I'll (I hope) be cleared.

Update₁: It might be just linux-firmware that could be the reason that Your machine runs cooler with 14.10, think about that... ;
    Last edited by zika; July 5th, 2014 at 08:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Just wanted to let you all know that this morning, i upgraded into 14.10 development! I figured it was the one way i could get the ubuntu patched 3.15 kernel i wanted with little fuss...so now i have the kernel that solves my multimedia stability problem but at the same time, much lower temperatures then the "mainline" kernel....

I used the upgrade in terminal method for the first time (as suggested by d_cosner) and it worked GREAT...took only about 25 minutes and i lost nothing....everything i had before (apps, data, settings) is exactly the same as i had on 14.04...the terminal did tell me at the end that there were about 5 broken packages, but once i opened package manager and fixed them, i was good to go

Then the updater had a huge slew of updates to do (apparently to complete the upgrade process) and that's when the 3.15.0-6 kernel was added!
    Now, if this will just run smooth to the release date i will be a very happy camper

If it does...then when 14.10 final is released i will either use the iso to re-install and carry over my data and apps or perhaps just do a clean install...wasn't really going to get back into development but i guess i just wanted that kernel so bad (lol)...
    Last edited by craig10x; July 6th, 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There is an easier solution to the question asked here about installing Utopic kernel in Trusty: ppa:canonical-kernel-team/ppa
    So, if there is anybody that still needs help, just ask...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12