Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driver for Radeon HD 5450

Beans

Re: Help deciding on best driver for Radeon HD 5450

You lost me squakie. Disable whatever proprietary driver I have on, do your fglrx trick then reboot, and then activate the best driver or do I just go with fglrx-updates package?
    Thanks

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Driver for Radeon HD 5450

I *think* if you just do the following the removal of fglrx and the installation of fglrx-updates will be done:

sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates

You may also want to try what QIII said - sudo amdconfig --initial

I haven't ever used that after installing the driver - don't know if I should have or not

After that, just reboot.

Sure *hope* that works for you.

Beans

Sorry about the wait.
    I got around to doing this after a break from the endless array of screens that is my desk, and when I run the uninstall of fglrx, it wasnt found! I felt that was a clear indication but I still continued and ran the install of fglrx-updates and found that it was already installed. I ran Qlll's command, and now I've got some strange occasional lag but I figure that's either from not having turned it on for a while or the sheer size of my monitor.
    Anyway, I think I got it running as well as I can. Thanks for all the help getting it here!

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help. I'll keep this thread in mind in case I run across something in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I've been using Lubuntu 13.10 since it was released and used synaptic to install fglrx, NOT the fglrx-updates, and never had any problem. And I'm using two video cards hd5450, driving three monitors. Not sure what's the big difference between Lubuntu 13.10 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but I thought I'd share the experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12