Thread: Odd Problem using Steam on WINE (See Screenshot)

Odd Problem using Steam on WINE (See Screenshot)

I've been using Ubuntu for a while now, and love it. It works well with almost everything I do, except for gaming. Native Steam is horribly slow, and the fonts are awful in games such as Team Fortress 2.
    So to try to solve my problem, I've begun trying to use Steam through WINE. It used to work fine, but when I reinstalled my system to my main hard drive, I started getting this strange error(?).
    Link here for those who can't see the image
    As you can see, the Steam window has a black box (if that's how it could be described) to the right of it. This happens for every Steam window, and the black covers up any windows beneath it (including those of Steam).

I have tried different versions of Ubuntu, WINE, and different Steam installations (SteamInstall.msi/.exe from the website, through Winetricks) and have still gotten this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by murray0072; June 30th, 2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added link for image

Norwich CT
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Odd Problem using Steam on WINE (See Screenshot)

I haven't had that problem, but Steam for Linux does something weird lately; I minimize the window, and the image of the window stays on my desktop. Moving the mouse uncovers icons. I end up having to exit Stem and restart.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Re: Odd Problem using Steam on WINE (See Screenshot)

I'm having the same problem. Linux Mint 16 AMD64 with MATE, WINE version 1.7.18, from the Ubuntu WINE PPA.. I installed Steam manually, by installing corefonts (with winetricks), and then Steam by using the downloaded .exe file from (July 7th, 2014). I also installed dotnet40 (winetricks), so I could run Rise of the Triad.

I'm having the same phenomenon as murray0072, and additionally, when in-game, the overlay pop-up saying that I'll have to enter the key code won't go away. Pressing Shift+Tab does nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edit: I'm using NVIDIA driver version 319.32, with a GeForce 560 Ti. Native Linux Steam works perfectly on this setup, but doesn't have RotT.
    Last edited by DaneM; July 13th, 2014 at 07:20 AM.