Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly does Steam do?

Beans

Question What exactly does Steam do?

Good morning (and nice shoes!), I'm not new to Linux, but I'm new to gaming...

There was this game (Worms Reloaded) I wanted to buy, but I had my fears... The Steam website doesn't really elaborate on how he gives me the games... Inside Steam, native executable, does it require internet connection to run? The game had steamplay, windows, linux, mac icons beside it...

Thanks,
    Abdullah

Beans

Re: What exactly does Steam do?

Steam is basically a package manager (or app store) for games. You launch the Steam application and use it to browse available games. You click on the games you want (enter your credit card information) and Steam downloads the game for you. Games which have DRM do require an Internet connection to install, though most of them can be played off-line once the game has been installed. Games are run natively, Steam is not a compatibility layer.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Steam for Linux has mostly native Linux games (CIV V, XCOM, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV, which run beautifully), but there are those with wrappers (Witcher 2, which runs OK and is most likely being improved), some which run with DOSBox (the Gabriel Knight series, which all run just as well as they would on Windows, which also requires DOSBox), and some which use plain wine to run (the very avoidable Eador:Masters Of The Broken World). The native games run best, but most all run OK, with some nasty exceptions (Eador again).

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abdullah5 View Post
    Good morning (and nice shoes!), I'm not new to Linux, but I'm new to gaming...

There was this game (Worms Reloaded) I wanted to buy, but I had my fears... The Steam website doesn't really elaborate on how he gives me the games... Inside Steam, native executable, does it require internet connection to run? The game had steamplay, windows, linux, mac icons beside it...

Thanks,
    Abdullah

If you're talking about the Steam Machine, it's basically called a Steam Box. thnewguy explained it already. It will work on the TV out of the box - you plug it in HDMI cable, login on your Steam account using the controller, play games and use media features.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

steam giveth and steam taketh.... seriously they can take all your games if they decide you breached their terms of use or if they find you are even considering a breach of terms (no refund for the games they take). they also transmit various data from your computer to Valve (spying?!).

other than that it is a distribution platform. and also serves as DRM platform.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    steam giveth and steam taketh.... seriously they can take all your games if they decide you breached their terms of use or if they find you are even considering a breach of terms (no refund for the games they take). they also transmit various data from your computer to Valve (spying?!).

other than that it is a distribution platform. and also serves as DRM platform.
    What terms can your games be taken from you if you breach them? Just wondering.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well there was a case not long ago a guy openly discussed, if he should sell his collection by selling th eaccoutn or something.. note he only discussed about it on some forums (maybe it was even steam forums) and they took away all their games since sellign it to osmeone else is not allowed.

also search the Google a bit and you can see post of people who got their account blocked or games take away.
    Last edited by mastablasta; July 3rd, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well. Interesting. My son once sold his WOW account for a princely sum, but that's allowed by WOW protocols. I have no interest in doing anything to lose my games. I have gotten GNU/Linux versions of quite a few games I bought when I still dual-booted. The only game I've bought twice was CIV V, and I certainly didn't mind throwing $16.99 (at the time) to (mostly) the guys who ported this, well, essential game, and produced a port that runs on Ubuntu and its derivatives, Fedora and its derivatives, Arch and Slackware.

So much for the "too many distros" argument about porting games to our OS. The guys who did the port said that they aimed for it to run on SteamOS. Looks to have been a pretty good decision.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

the money is not the issue. they have good deals and sales on steam. too bad games are not DRM free.

I hope GOG will do better with it's Linux games plan. i mean even if they sell gamesbundled with wine or some script that will make it easier to instal... they have lot of good games and many work very well in wine or dosbox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    also search the Google a bit and you can see post of people who got their account blocked or games take away.
    This is some nice fud (FEAR, UNCERTAINTY, DOUBT).

If you'd bother researching further you'd find that these people had games unlinked from their account for various reasons up to and including criminal activity. Normal people that just download and play the games that they pay for will never have a game removed from their library; unless in the rare case the game is removed entirely from Steam which has only happened once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast