Thread: virtual winxp to physical winxp

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

virtual winxp to physical winxp

i was wondering if its possible to convert a virtual winxp install to a real one on a different hard drive i tried googling it and most what shows up is making a physical install to a virtual one. btw im running lubuntu 14.04 and i want the install on a empty hard drive i have to dualboot lubuntu/winxp.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: virtual winxp to physical winxp

Danger Will Robinson.
    Windows installs based on the hardware seen ... so your virtual install is for the virtual motherboard, virtual chipsets, virtual NICs, virtual drive controller, and virtual BIOS, etc....

The drive controller, BIOS and chipsets matter most. It is possible to fix the other things later.

So - will your real, physical hardware match that? Probably not.

With later versions of XP and all MS OSes from Vista on, they started tying the installation to the OS even more for pre-installed versions. Retail copies aren't as picky, but I've never been successful at migrating either direction. Heck - I'd love to migrate the media center settings between systems - seriously - with Linux, it jut works if the data and settings are available, but not with MS. At least that is my experience.

Beans
    Distro

so thats a no?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is not impossible, but ... my Japanese friends say "it is very difficult" er ... when they mean "no."
    Perhaps nobody has tried hard enough yet?
    You could be the first to successfully do it.

Beans
    Distro

i found online a way to install winxp to a physical hd with the help of virtualbox but it froze at 13mins left registering componets. i will port the link to the post i was following when im on my pc again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You should also be aware that Windows XP expired almost three months ago. It's not getting security updates. If you insist on using it, you should expect it to be virus-ridden very quickly.

If you really need Windows, better to go with 8.1 and Classic Shell. It runs surprisingly well on older hardware, as long as it has enough memory.

Beans
    Distro

because my pc cant run anything above xp. also if it gets alot of viruses i will just reinstall. im only using it for a few games that wont run on wine.