I am running a HP Pavilion G7-2069 Notebook PC with dual boot with WIN7. I have grub version 1.99-21ubuntu3.14 for Ubuntu 12.04. The machine has been working great until I installed some updates that were recommended. Unfortunately I did not record which updates were installed. After they were installed it told me the updates required a restart. I performed the restart and the grub came up normally. I selected Ubuntu and then I got the normal purple screen. The screen then went black which is normal also but usually it then flashes the Ubuntu logo with 5 dots representing progress and then the desktop. However this time it did not get out of the black screen. The keyboard was unresponsive and the only thing that I could do is power down. I powered down and then tried to reboot in the recovery mode for Ubuntu. The boot went pretty normal except that it ended asking me for a logon and a password. I have never had a logon or password for this machine as I am the only user. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am relegated back to using windows which boots normal.