Thread: NFS problems

Beans

NFS problems

Hi all

I am trying to set up an nfs server on say computer A running kubuntu 14.04.

my exports are

/home/usr/tmp *(rw,no_subtree_check,sync)

I am aware that now everyone who has the ip adresse of the host can mount /home/usr/tmp.

However, given what I have read in the NFS tutorial, hosts.allow/hosts.deny can put another barrier between the outside and the server. Thus my hosts.allow

ALL: 127.0.0.1

sshd: ALL

rpcbind mountd nfsd statd lockd rquotad : 127.0.0.1

portmap : 127.0.0.1

my hosts.deny

ALL: ALL

rpcbind mountd nfsd statd lockd rquotad : ALL

portmap: ALL

But I still can mount the file system from computer B, running kubuntu 14.04 as well, with "sudo mount.nfs4 server-ip:/home/usr/tmp /mnt/".

Thus, the nfs daemon is not evaluating the allow/deny settings (In fact I expect host.deny to work with ALL: ALL already, but thad didn't work either). Since the allow/deny setting are explicitly mentioned here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

I currently don't know what I have done wrong.

Any idea

Cheers

Karl
    Last edited by Karl_May; June 29th, 2014 at 02:20 AM.

Beans

Re: NFS problems

sorry, can a moderator move this topic to the server platforms forum.

Thanks

Karl

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_May View Post
    sorry, can a moderator move this topic to the server platforms forum.
    All done.

The best way to ask for a thread move is to use the "Report Post" button in your own post. A forum post might not be noticed by forum staff for some time, but a report can be dealt with quickly. It's OK to use the report button - we encourage its use for anything that requires forum staff attention, not just for reporting spam or problematic posts.

Good luck with getting a solution!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

What do you see in /var/log/syslog when you try to mount the drive?

Frankly I'd never jump through all those hoops to limit access to the server. I just use a CIDR address like 192.168.1.0/24 in /etc/exports.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you mean host.deny or hosts.deny?

Beans

sorry, of course it is hosts.deny and hosts.allow. Have corrected the initial post