Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: unable to pick NAS as save location for torrents

Beans

Re: unable to pick NAS as save location for torrents

well im on a Dell 11 Chromebook and then installed crouton as shown here: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-ru...-a-chromebook/

these are my results:
    (saucy)newage51@localhost:~$ ls -l /run/user/$UID/gvfs
    total 0
    (saucy)newage51@localhost:~$ dpkg -l | grep gvfs
    ii gvfs:amd64 1.18.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 userspace virtual filesystem - GIO module
    ii gvfs-backends 1.18.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 userspace virtual filesystem - backends
    ii gvfs-bin 1.18.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 userspace virtual filesystem - binaries
    ii gvfs-common 1.18.2-0ubuntu1 all userspace virtual filesystem - common data files
    ii gvfs-daemons 1.18.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 userspace virtual filesystem - servers
    ii gvfs-libs:amd64 1.18.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 userspace virtual filesystem - private libraries
    (saucy)newage51@localhost:~$ ls -l ~/.gvfs
    ls: cannot access /home/newage51/.gvfs: No such file or directory

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm somewhat baffled.

Can you run this command:
    Code:
    gvfs-info smb://<IP-OF-NAS>/public
    ...of course replacing <IP-OF-NAS> with the actual ip of the nas. I want to see what gvfs says about the share.

Beans

Error getting info: The specified location is not mounted

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I wonder if this has something to do with Crouton. I'm not that familiar with it but from what I've just read, it seems to install its own version of the kernel. This may be the issue. I also found this post that talks about mounting samba shares which is different from stock ubuntu.

I'm going to move this thread to the Other OS/Distro Support sub-forum as I believe crouton is significantly different from Ubuntu.

Beans

o yeah maybe thats the issue. i have not come across this instruction you linked to, thanks. will this only work while in the chrome os, or will this work in ubuntu?

Beans

so just tried to follow the steps and encountered some problems

first:
    1. Create smbnetfs configuration file ( touch ~/.smb/smbnetfs.conf

said no such file or directory so i just went into my ubuntu and created the path and file

then:
    when trying to mount
    (precise)newage51@localhost:~$ smbnetfs ~Downloads/Network
    WARNING!!! Configuration directory /home/newage51/.smb is not found. Please create it.
    This directory should contain at least two files: smb.conf and smbnetfs.conf.
    You may copy smb.conf from the /etc/samba directory. You can find a sample of
    smbnetfs.conf in the /etc directory.

Using default settings for now.
    fuse: bad mount point `~Downloads/Network': No such file or directory
    (precise)newage51@localhost:~$ mkdir ~/Downloads/Network
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/newage51/Downloads/Network': File exists
    (precise)newage51@localhost:~$ smbnetfs ~/Downloads/Network
    WARNING!!! Configuration directory /home/newage51/.smb is not found. Please create it.

fusermount: failed to open /etc/fuse.conf: Permission denied
    fusermount: failed to access mountpoint /home/newage51/Downloads/Network: Permission denied
    (precise)newage51@localhost:~$ sudo smbnetfs ~/Downloads/Network

fuse: bad mount point `/home/newage51/Downloads/Network': Permission denied
    (precise)newage51@localhost:~$

so now im stuck with these instruction which im not sure will work for my application..

Beans

do you guys think i would just be better off installing a full version of linux(chrUbuntu) on my chromebook? crouton allows for switching back and forth but it seems to have its draw backs regarding mounts..

http://it-nthusiast.blogspot.com/201...routon-vs.html

Beans

the issue was crouton. as its not a full version of ubuntu i guess mounting the drive in such a way to allow full capabilities is impossible. i solved this by factory resetting the chromebook and install chrubuntu. my NAS was visible and accessible under Network which was not possible before. i then could choose it as a local drive in my torrent save location. thanks for the help guys!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tony49 View Post
    the issue was crouton. as its not a full version of ubuntu i guess mounting the drive in such a way to allow full capabilities is impossible. i solved this by factory resetting the chromebook and install chrubuntu. my NAS was visible and accessible under Network which was not possible before. i then could choose it as a local drive in my torrent save location. thanks for the help guys!
    I know this post is marked SOLVED already but this may be useful since the OP said he had to reinstall.

In the future if you have problems with cifs on Crouton you can take a look at the following link on how to compile your own Crouton compatible kernel module:

https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton...kernel-modules

Or you can search online and find a compatible pre-built cifs.ko, but you have to make sure to unlock module locking before you can dynamically insert the new kernel module.

E.g.

$ sudo chmod 0666 /sys/module/lsm/parameters/module_locking
    $ echo 0 > /sys/module/lsm/parameters/module_locking

$ sudo insmod /your/favorite/place/for/cifs.ko

A bit late, but you have an alternate solution for next time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123