Thread: [Help] Installing Ubuntu on Vaio Multi-flip

Beans

Question [Help] Installing Ubuntu on Vaio Multi-flip

Edit:
    I was concerned about any problems that might happen with the efi boot before installing, and was worried since I didn't see any posts online about it. My settings were secure boot turned off, and uefi mode as opposed to legacy, and chose the "erase everything and install ubuntu" option and it worked fine. As a side note I am still able to access the vaio recovery screen by pressing "Assist" when the computer is turned off.

Original Post:
    I plan on completely removing Windows and installing Ubuntu on my Vaio Multi-flip 14. One thing that has my concern is it seems that the only way to access the bios settings is to boot to Sony's recovery partition first. I have tried most of the normal combinations for mashing buttons to try and bring up the menu, but none of them seem to work. Consulting the manual just says, "press the assist button to boot to the recovery drive". So as far as I can tell, it seems that if I do a complete wipe and install that I'll be stuck with what ever bios settings I leave it with. Right now I have it on secure boot disabled, uefi enabled, and the boot order to boot the external drive before the internal HDD.

1. Is there anyone with a vaio multi-flip (or 2013-2014 model in general) running a full install of ubuntu? And did you run into any issues with the install?
    2. Would it be better to switch the boot mode to legacy instead of uefi to be on the safe side in case i can't access it in the future?
    3. There seems to be two oem paritions, and three recovery partitions. Should I try and install ubuntu manually to leave the recovery partitions in place and would that have any effect on the boot sector?
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps7936368c.png

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by seichestream; June 27th, 2014 at 09:51 AM.