Thread: (No luck) Installing Carolina Puppy Linux to usb

Beans

(No luck) Installing Carolina Puppy Linux to usb

I'm running windows on my current pc but am decently familiar with linux (hence the forum account).
    I recently attempted to install Carolina (a fork of Saluki) Puppy Linux on a freshly formatted fat32 drive using Unetbootin.
    I had done the same procedure for Slacko and Lucid Puppy before so I was surprised to see my efforts fail this time.
    When my laptop booted into the usb containing the Unetbootin created lina-1.2.iso, it first looked for the drivers, no problem, and then looking for the puppy files.............
    and then proceeded to tell me that it had failed to locate the puppy_lina_1.2.sfs. Slightly panicked, I booted into windows, checked and there was the exact specified file in the root directory. I looked online and realized a live-cd would do the trick. I plopped in a fresh rewritable cd and asked windows to burn the disk... ejected. Try again... ejected. Darg.
    Not to worry! I loaded a Virtual Machine, passing the Splash screen and then blue Windows crash screen; cursed? So I loaded another lucid puppy drive with the failed attempt still connected. Like in a tutorial here, created a fat32 partition along a smaller linux-swap partition. I flagged the fat as boot and dragged the contents of the lina-1.2.iso into the drive. I then used Grub4dos to make it bootable and rebooted away!
    To not repeat myself, it had the same effect Unetbootin had. Sorry if this is a garbled plea, and more sorry if I am cursed and will wander, never finding lina1.2.sfs.

Beans

Re: (No luck) Installing Carolina Puppy Linux to usb

In all the time spent despairing over a usb, I did not have access to another computer. Though the desktop was dead (I was using my laptop), I created a live-cd and usb easily at another desktop. Sorry to flap like a fish. I hope I haven't wasted anybody's time.